MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: ACP Edit Users Language Error Fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A lot of people have reported this error coming up when you edit a user in the ACP and are unsure of how to get around it:

[Image: languageerror.png]

This is easy to get around, and there are 2 ways of doing it.

If you only really need to edit one user (for example, to change their usergroup), and are experiencing this problem, then under the 'Account Settings' tab, scroll down to the very last option, 'Board Language:', under 'Other Options'. The value will currently be 'Use Default', and this is what is causing the error. Simply choose a language that isn't 'Use Default' (for example, 'English (American)') and save the user.

However, it is probably better if you run a MySQL query to update the language setting for all your users. This will save you time if you need to edit a lot of members and will also make life generally easier for you. In PHPMyAdmin (or a similar database manager), run this query:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `language` = 'english' WHERE `language` = ''

Make sure 'mybb_users' is the name of your users table - if you have used a different table prefix other than 'mybb_', you will need to edit the table name to reflect this. To check what yours is if you are unsure, you can see what it is by viewing the tables in PHPMyAdmin and seeing what is at the start of all the tables. Also, if the default language on your board is something other than English, you will need to change the 'english' entry to reflect your board's default language.

This problem has been fixed in MyBB 1.4.3, and it is highly recommended you upgrade, but for those on previous 1.4.x versions, here's your fix Smile

Note that this only updates current users, it doesn't set the default for new registrations, the way to do that may be added soon (as in when I get back from dinner) Toungue

I hope this is helpful.
Stickied for a few weeks. Seeing as this was fixed in 1.4.3 (The only fix apart from the security fixes) I don't believe the issue will be prevalent for too much longer
Thanks... yeah, hopefully everyone upgrades but there will be people who won't. But hey, it's there if it's needed. To be honest I don't know why I didn't think of posting this up weeks ago Toungue
I already stickied my version of it. It's shorter and to the point.

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-39787.html
Ah, my bad - didn't see it