MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to "hide" a forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I'm looking for a way to have a forum (inside a category or a full category) that the users don't see, but if I give them the direct link, they can see and post in it as if it was a regular forum.

Ori...
From memory... make a forum that nobody can see, and then in that, make the forum that you want to give them access to... then they won't be able to see it on the index at all, but they can see it when they visit the URL.
Expanded on above:

Make a category, and make sure that in it's permissions "Can View?" is deselected for all groups (or those who you don't want to see it by default).

Then, add a child forum with whatever permissions you like.

The category can't be seen from the Index, but as Matt says, if you type in the URL then you can see the forums. I think you do it like that anyway...
I tried two(2) different ways:

Way no. 1) Edit permissions to a forum itself (the forum is "under" a viewable category):
- 'Guests', 'Registered' , 'Awaiting Activation' and 'Moderators' : no forum view / yes thread view (everyone else, but guests, can post and edit)
- 'Administrators' and 'Super Moderators' : no change ("All")
- 'Banned' : no change (nothing)

Way no. 2) Create a category and remove the 'view forum' permission and left all other permissions as regular, then create a forum "under it" and leave the permissions to default.

in both cases I got:
Guests cannot access the forum - they have to login. Everyone else (except 'Banned', 'Administrators' and 'Super Moderators') get a message that they don't have the proper permissions to view this forum. 'Administrators' and 'Super Moderators' have full access (as regular). 'Banned' are banned - so its ok.

Ori...
P.S. Sorry for the grammar/spelling mistakes - I'm Dyslectic (and the speller has its own limitations).
To be honest... I've tried and can't seem to do it... I'm pretty sure you can actually "hide" forums but not 100% on the method or whether it requires a plugin.
You can select if a forum is active or not, and if it's inactive, it won't show on the index, even to admins I believe.
(2008-10-30, 10:10 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Expanded on above:

Make a category, and make sure that in it's permissions "Can View?" is deselected for all groups (or those who you don't want to see it by default).

Then, add a child forum with whatever permissions you like.

The category can't be seen from the Index, but as Matt says, if you type in the URL then you can see the forums. I think you do it like that anyway...

Permissions are inherited for subforums, so it won't work as you've tried.

(2008-10-30, 04:20 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]You can select if a forum is active or not, and if it's inactive, it won't show on the index, even to admins I believe.

If the forum's inactive, it is not accessible at all from the front-end.

Unfortunately this problem requires a code modification or plugin.
(2008-10-30, 04:35 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-30, 04:20 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]You can select if a forum is active or not, and if it's inactive, it won't show on the index, even to admins I believe.

If the forum's inactive, it is not accessible at all from the front-end.

Unfortunately this problem requires a code modification or plugin.

Even if you put a forum inside the hidden one that users have the permission to view and then access from a URL??
(2008-10-30, 05:16 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Even if you put a forum inside the hidden one that users have the permission to view and then access from a URL??

Correct! - If the forum/category is "inactive", then the child forums are also classed as "inactive".

I must have been thinking of other software...
Thanks everybody that tried (and thous how just read this thread).
Does anyone know of a plugin to do this job? I'm not a gode coder (just an ok debugger).

Thanks anyway,
Ori...
Pages: 1 2