MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can I lock individual threads by password or user?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm considering using MyBB 1.4 to host a forum for online classes.

I'd like to be able to set up a thread for each different class, so that when a user signs up for a class, they can enter that thread, download class materials and discuss the specifics in that classes' forum thread.

However, I would not like the user to be able to access classes they haven't signed up for.

Is this functionality something myBB can do? Or is there another way to accomplish this I should be looking into? Any help is greatly appreciated.
-Olaf
It is possible to password protect forums, but all users would use the same password and this wouldn't be an ideal solution. The better option would be to place users into a specific group when they subscribe to a class and allow that group access to the relevant forums for that class, although it's not possible to prevent access to individual threads.
Yeah I'd go with that. Create usergroups such as Maths, English (I don't know what sort of things you'd want but you get the idea I hope) and then create a forum for that subject, and make it so that only the relevant usergroups can see it. Then, when people sign up, you put them into the relevant groups, or they add themselves, and then only the people who should see a specific forum, will.
yes if you are looking for people to paid to become in this group there is also a mod that dose this for mybb Big Grin
(2008-10-31, 10:15 AM)Tazfan Wrote: [ -> ]yes if you are looking for people to paid to become in this group there is also a mod that dose this for mybb Big Grin

So each class will be their own group? is that correct?
I'm still getting the terminology down, I didn't realize each board could have more than one forum.
Where can I find that mod?
-Olaf
Well, there's loads of forums here Toungue I'll try and explain this a bit better. You see here, on the index page, there's a forum called 'Chit-Chat' and one called 'Showcase'. Now, you could create 2 new usergroups; you could make it so one usergroup can see Chit-Chat and not Showcase, and make the other usergroup to only see Showcase but not Chit-Chat. I'm sure there's a forum here for admins, but as we are not in the Admin usergroup, we can't see it.

So, to link this to you; you could have a sub-forum on a subject, and make it so that only people in the usergroup who need to see it, can. Other people won't even know it exists.
yes that is right and yes you can get the mod here

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1613.html

you do have to pay $5 a year for it but you can a list of other great mods as well note this not my site :p but its sure worth getting if you plan to make your site big as you soon make that $5 back

(2008-10-31, 06:32 PM)byolaf Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-10-31, 10:15 AM)Tazfan Wrote: [ -> ]yes if you are looking for people to paid to become in this group there is also a mod that dose this for mybb Big Grin

I'm still getting the terminology down, I didn't realize each board could have more than one forum.
-Olaf
(2008-10-31, 06:38 PM)Tazfan Wrote: [ -> ]yes that is right and yes you can get the mod here

http://www.mybbcentral.com/thread-1613.html

you do have to pay $5 a year for it but you can a list of other great mods as well note this not my site :p but its sure worth getting if you plan to make your site big as you soon make that $5 back

(2008-10-31, 06:32 PM)byolaf Wrote: [ -> ]

-Olaf

No that's to make people pay to subscribe to the entire board, I don't think that's what he wants.

Anyway, byolaf, I've PM'd you Smile