MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Odd issue where links in MyBB's ACP are triggering 404 errors from my CMS.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When MyBB is trying to rewrite the URL's like...

http://symphonicheaven.com/forum/admin/i...nge&gid=17

...it causes the 404 page served by my CMS to show up. But it only affects the module links.

I dunno if this is being caused by my CMS, or by MyBB. I can let you see my .htaccess files if needed.
How easy is it to 'turn off' the CMS?? I mean is there a way to sort of just turn it off but not lose data to see if the error shows when it's not active??
(2008-11-02, 11:29 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]How easy is it to 'turn off' the CMS?? I mean is there a way to sort of just turn it off but not lose data to see if the error shows when it's not active??

If I shut off the .htaccess for the CMS (in the root of my FTP area), it causes a general 404 error to pop up.

When I set the CMS to offline, it gives a critical error (which that URL also creates). I posted a support thread on their board to see if that issue is causing this issue.

I'll let you guys know if I find anything else out. Wink
FYI, We don't rewrite URL's in the ACP
That link you gave is similar to what many people are experiencing lately. It could be a mod_security issue (most used phrase of the week?).

Check out [Wiki: Help:Mod_security] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

If that fails, then contact your host, and ask them to whitelist your domain for mod_security.
(2008-11-03, 07:20 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]It could be a mod_security issue (most used phrase of the week?).

It does seem the problem has been very common in the last week or so Confused
I worked w/ the MODx guys and I think it's being caused somewhere on MyBB's end.

I thought it might have been the .htaccess file in MODx's dir (which is the "root"), so I created an .htaccess in the /forum/admin path and had it turn off the htaccess rules, which didn't change anything (thus, that should mean MODx wasn't causing it).

Now, if I changed index.php to index2.php, and changed any of the 404'ing URL's, it works as expected (for the most part, except for some areas like the PHP info page).

I dunno what to do at this point...

EDIT: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topi...#msg185059

That's the two .htaccess files I'm using, btw. Wink And I don't think this is a mod_security issue, since I don't see that error anywhere.
(2008-11-11, 12:27 PM)Soshite Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think this is a mod_security issue, since I don't see that error anywhere.

It's because mod_security doesn't throw a specific "This is a mod_security issue". In your situation, Apache will generate a 404 error. In a sense, it is MyBB's issue, as it is the way the URL is written. This activates mod_security in Apache, and throws a 404.

As Ryan says, MyBB doesn't rewrite ACP URLs, so you won't get anywhere with .htaccess files. As mentioned, have you tried whitelisting the domain? It has fixed every 404 error situation when accessing the ACP in this way, and there's been a few!
(2008-11-11, 01:14 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 12:27 PM)Soshite Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think this is a mod_security issue, since I don't see that error anywhere.

It's because mod_security doesn't throw a specific "This is a mod_security issue". In your situation, Apache will generate a 404 error. In a sense, it is MyBB's issue, as it is the way the URL is written. This activates mod_security in Apache, and throws a 404.

As Ryan says, MyBB doesn't rewrite ACP URLs, so you won't get anywhere with .htaccess files. As mentioned, have you tried whitelisting the domain? It has fixed every 404 error situation when accessing the ACP in this way, and there's been a few!

Oh, I see now. I'll go and ask them. Wink

I wonder when they made that change, since it worked fine a month or so ago.

So I just ask them to whitelist the /forum directory, then?
(2008-11-11, 02:18 PM)Soshite Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-11, 01:14 PM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh, I see now. I'll go and ask them. Wink

I wonder when they made that change, since it worked fine a month or so ago.

So I just ask them to whitelist the /forum directory, then?

Well they may have just changed their settings which suddenly caused an error. I'm not sure how it works exactly but if you just ask them to remove it from your account, they'll do whatever they have to do for it not to affect you anymore.
Pages: 1 2