MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest user as "localhost" creating new thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I use to control my forum, and today I realized on my Who's Online that a Guest have the Localhost IP and he/she was creating a new thread:
----> [attachment=11562] <----

This would be OK if I'm the only user wich have access to "localhost" (and the Technical staff of my Hosting, but they are too busy to be in my forum Wink ).

My question: Who's that guy? Why is he/she having this IP?

Thanks Smile

(BTW I searched the forum but the search form did'nt allow the search of "172.0.0.1" sentence)
As you say, only people who have access to your local machine will have the "127.0.0.1" IP address - so either someone is remotely using your computer or it may be one of those techs.

Either way, make sure your computer is up to date and secure. It's kind of client-side rather than MyBB causing a problem Smile Realistically there's no explaination other than someone using your PC...
It could be a bot of the host that scan for illlegal stuff like nulled scripts and illegal mp3 files, many hosts have such a bot.
It wasn't really creating new thread it was just visit the page newthread.php.

The main reason to think it's a bot is that usually when a user creating a thread you'll see something like:
Posting New Thread in MyBB 1.4 General Support
But when someone trying to access the url of newthread.php without providing a forum ID as a get variable fid, he'll see an error message:
Invalid Forum
and in the online users list you'll see a message like yours:
Posting New Thread

Usually a normal user will never try to access such url but a search engine or other type of bots (like what I've mentioned) WILL try.
True, I've seen a GoogleBot sending a thread to a friend, printing threads, all that Toungue
(2008-11-05, 05:48 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]True, I've seen a GoogleBot sending a thread to a friend, printing threads, all that Toungue
Yes I've seen that , but GoogleBot didnt have an "172.0.0.1" IP Wink

I assume what dvb said (hope that's the reason) but it scared me for a while...

Many thanks to all for your answers Smile
(2008-11-07, 09:37 AM)NoRules Wrote: [ -> ]I assume what dvb said (hope that's the reason) but it scared me for a while...

Many thanks to all for your answers Smile

But just now I thought on another thing, you can see that "visitor" in the online list, that's mean that the "visitor" tried to visit the page newthread.php through his browser - and that's for sure not the normal behavior of files scanning bots.

So now I really don't know what could it be, and stronly recommend to conact your host, you can add a link to this thread so your host will see what we've already discussed.

Please comeback and tell us what was your host response.

Good luck! Big Grin
IP addresses can be spoofed. But if you have set your permissions correctly, all they will be viewing is a "No permission" page when they try to access that create thread page.