MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No user can read any post - Permissions Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good evening.

I would like to start by saying that I am new to the world of BB forums, but after testing phpBB, SMF and MyBB a little, I decided to throw the other two away and use MyBB. I have spent the day setting up the various user groups, moderator users, standard users, and whatnot, and was feeling pretty good about myself until I tried posting to my new forum.

It does not matter which user level the user is, be it Admin or Noob, no user can ever view any post. They can all post just fine as they should or shouldn't according to the permissions, but reading doesn't appear to follow that at all. Even Administrators (that of course have Permissions set to do and see anything they bloody well please Wink) just get the same message:

Quote:You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
1.Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
2.You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3.Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)

So, I ask you people that probably have loads more experience with these things than I do, what could I be doing wrong?

Oh, to clarify before someone yells at me... Fresh install, version 1.4, all plugins deactivated Smile
Welcome to MyBB Smile Permissions can be a pain to set up, but try this: ACP > Users & Groups > Groups > **click usergroup name** > Forums and Posts. Make sure everything here is as you want it for each group; these are the default permissions that will be set for new forums. To check existing forums' permissions, go to ACP > Forums & Posts > ** choose forum** > Options > Permissions. Make sure they're ok there... also, next to each usergroup listed here, click Edit/Set Permissions (it varies between 'Set' and Edit'), and make sure everything here is correct.
Thank you very much Matt, I really decided to go with MyBB because the permissions SEEMED to be very simple, and not as convoluted or annoying as SMF and phpBB's... I guess I wasn't all to correct on that assumption Wink

ACP > Users & Groups > Groups > **click usergroup name** > Forums and Posts.
- All correct - Default behavior is Users can view posts and forums.

ACP > Forums & Posts > ** choose forum** > Edit Forum
- All correct

ACP > Forums & Posts > ** choose forum** > Options > Permissions.
- All Correct

Set/Edit permissions buttons... I really hadn't looked at them, because I figured the checkmarks were enough. I now peer in there and Lo and behold, there is a checkmark next to "View forum" but not "View posts in forum". I guess I'll have to go through every permission for every forum for every user group and fix that.. that's an annoyingly tedious work Confused

Damn, if I use the Edit Permissions and choose: "Use user group permissions or inherit permissions from parent forums" then all fields are filled out. If I then remove "Can upload attachments" from the "Options > Permissions" menu, the "Edit Permissions" menu changes back from "Use user group permissions or inherit permissions from parent forums" and I lose the ability to view thread. Is this normal behavior?
Well, from what I've seen of other forum software, the MyBB way of doing permissions is better.

I don't know why it does that, it doesn't always... I personally have never had any problems like that but some people have, so I'm not quite sure what goes on with that. One day I might play around with it and see if I can see what happens.