MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are there any good host providers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have had tons of problems with my host provider in the past, my friends have had similar problems. The question is are there any reliable providers out there or are they all crap?

Problems I've had

Someone pressed the wrong button and half my database disappeared, 3 months work evaporated.

They ran a PHP update that made resulted in umpteen faults on my site, some taking 3 months to find. I was not even aware of the update

As the company is UK based I was under the impression I was hosted in the UK, wrong, they moved most of their clients to a US server without their clients being aware, this was a cost cutting exercise, I had to ask for my site to be moved back.

Communication is poor to say the least.

They are however good at coming up with articulate excuses.

I'm just wonder am I unlucky or is this the norm?
(2008-11-06, 07:03 AM)peteark Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just wonder am I unlucky or is this the norm?

Unlucky, sounds like they're amatures. What was the price you paid per month? What kind of plan did you have? Any hosting provider should communicate with their clients when they do major upgrades. They also should have daily backups of everything so when someone presses "the wrong button" they can restore it. Your story is not the norm, but there are a lot out there which are simple teens using a reseller account to make some money.

First thing I would do is get the hell out of there. You can read up on webhosts via www.webhostingtalk.com.
yes hostgator is a good host that would fit most peoples needs

maybe give them a try or even look at some webhosting fourms to see what other people think are good. you need to chose the right host for you not pick the cheaps Big Grin
(2008-11-06, 12:02 PM)zoog Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-06, 07:03 AM)peteark Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just wonder am I unlucky or is this the norm?

First thing I would do is get the hell out of there. You can read up on webhosts via www.webhostingtalk.com.

You will find Web Hosting Talk to be a very helpful site. I have learned a lot about hosting and related subjects from them.
Mine is vectorlevel.com and they're the best business I've ever dealt with!
Get a VPS no worries then Toungue.

But for shared I would recommend Wire Nine from personal experience.

I try to avoid hosts that offer more than can be covered for the price like the others mentioned. I'm not saying they're bad it just seems they aren't consistently great(I don't even look for good hosts I look for great Toungue).

But, as said before WHT is your best friend when looking for paid hosting in any shape or form(shared, vps, dedicated...).
Creative Hoster i find better then any host i have ever used.
I spend a lot of money, time, and effort to make sure all of my hosting customers are happy and taken care of. Of course, my free clients don't get the same treatment as my paid clients, but even my free clients get better treatment than what the OP encountered. Even on my free servers I do daily backups and have never made any upgrades or changes to my server configurations without a proper backout plan.
Pages: 1 2