MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thread views count way off...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have noticed when you view a thread (on my current install myBB 1.4.3) it will show the VIEW count go up by 2 each time, some times it will go up by 3. Why does it not go up by 1? is this cause of the Google bot or something?
Link to your forum?
Maybe more people are viewing it??
(2008-11-06, 05:36 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe more people are viewing it??

don't think so because even before the forum went online it was doing the double count...i tried to delete the google bot and then would read a thread and still double count.

this forum was converted from PHPBB so i checked and the user table seems just fine not double accounts thinking that might of cause something.
Funny the first time I view the thread it increments by 2, and subsequent times it only increments by 1.
that is crazy for me each time it will increase by 2 and sometimes by 3.

so what do you think? lol crazy huh!
Ok I found that for some reason the browser is loading the page twice, which means the view count will be incremented twice. See firebug in attachment.
Your good Dennis!!!

So i quickly & temporally changed the site theme to default and that made it so the view count only increased by 1. so guess it is safe to say it is a template issue.

QUESTION: where in the template should i be looking for what is causing the double load/count?
I just replaced the SHOWTHREAD in my current template with the DEFAULT template and that did not effect the change...so i guess the double count from the template is happening before SHOWTHREAD template file loads.
I also just change my themes forumdisplay_threadlist TEMPLATE file with the one from the DEFAULT template and still my post view count is doubling.

so using the DEFAULT template site wide the count increases only by 1, using my template it increases by 2 and ALSO using the DEFAULT template files "SHOWTHREAD" and "FORUMDISPLAY_THREADLIST" in my template i still get double view counts.

Now im at a lost. Any ideas?!
I have found now that this double view count does not happen in Safari only Firefox.

Any ideas what i should be looking for in my template that is causing it?
FIXED!!!!

Turned out to be only a issue in Firefox and was caused by the empty background syntax in the table style i had.

<table border="0" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center" style="background: url();" valign="top">

removing the
style="background: url();"
out of that line in the HEADER template fixed my view thread count.