MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Merging from SMF 1.1.* - Karma to reputation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I was considering moving my forum over to MyBB, but with any major change I was doing a test merge first to allow me to play with my actual forum setup (more or less) and so I could get an idea of how the merge process worked.

The process of the merge doesn't seem to import Karma values from SMF. For my forum, this is a very important piece of information which must be imported in order for us to move our forum. Reading through the import script for SMF I noticed that the karma settings were referenced a few times in order to set reputation settings. It seems almost trivial to import karma information (My forum is too big to modify and test - I have 9000 members and 100,000 posts, so an import takes almost an hour in total.). Is it as simple as modifying a few things (and has simply been overlooked when the script was written), or does it require more work? I have a limited understanding of SMF from working with it over the last few years, but I don't know very much about database structure.

Anyway. Would this be possible, and if so, would it only take a few lines of code, or would it require considerably more. I assume karma is simply held as an integer in the SMF database.

Thanks in advance.

Leo
We current do not convert SMF's Karma -> Reputation because of the limited usage and time required to test and maintain those pieces of code.
(2008-11-07, 10:30 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]We current do not convert SMF's Karma -> Reputation because of the limited usage and time required to test and maintain those pieces of code.

OK

Do you have much knowledge of SMF? Do you think it would be quite easy to write in a karma conversion component to the script? Sorry to ask so many questions - I'm not asking you to actually write anything, but just give your opinion on how easy it would be to do it. I assume it would be similar to importing registration date or any other piece of data attached to a users profile.

Edit: Looking at the update script, it doesn't look too complicated. The karma is stored in the database as "karmaBad" and"karmaGood". It seems that reputation is stored simply as one number. It wouldn't be too hard (I would imagine) to do a simple addition sum for each user and copy it into the "reputation" table in the MyBB database, but I've not got enough experience of PHP to know exactly how to do that. I think reading the update script I have an idea, but I'd probably want to check with someone before I wasted an hour trying to run it.

More update: There's also the matter of the seperate "Reputation" table. Seems like it would be more complex than it looks. I could easily simply update the reputation number, but to fill in the reputation table would be considerably more work. I run a mod called "Karma log" on SMF that does a similar thing, and outputs a similar table. Maybe the answer would be to move that across (it matches almost column for column) and then simply copy across the karma value. (every reinstall resets the mod, so it only has a month or so worth of karma logs)
I don't particularly have any more knowledge then what I've had to look into with the Merge System.

I personally wouldn't think it would be too terribly hard to write a module for the reputation system conversion, but that is if you comfortable with PHP and MySQL