MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Quick Reply Problem With Hanging [R] [C-Michael83]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2008-11-13, 12:28 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I don't have this problem here either. There must be something common causing this though. It might be a handshake problem.

If that is the case then it wouldn't be a MyBB problem, right? The handshake is done between the browser & apache
Quote:If that is the case then it wouldn't be a MyBB problem, right? The handshake is done between the browser & apache

True but maybe there is the common ground and a workaround can be found. At this point it's hard to really narrow down but you must admit this is more of a widespread problem than you probably thought.

I wonder if certain apache settings are causing this too. Like keepalive maybe or persistent connection? I have both on for my sites.

Can anyone else tell us their settings for those parameters? I would like to know what mybb has since it doesn't appear to be a problem here. There must be something causing this.
(2008-11-13, 01:18 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]True but maybe there is the common ground and a workaround can be found. At this point it's hard to really narrow down but you must admit this is more of a widespread problem than you probably thought.

I have yet to have this problem, ever. So no, I'm not completely convinced yet. It's obviously several people have experienced a "lagging" like problem but I have yet to see how exactly this is a problem in MyBB itself.
but why then since 1.4.3 so often
As I've said before this happens on labrocca's site a lot (not that I'm picking on it or anything Toungue), but it seems to happen more when the post will be going onto a new page. I always seem to make a post that then starts a new page, and it's then when it hangs. Dunno if that's the same for anyone else, that's just my immediate observation.

EDIT: Yes after a bit of spamming over there (I deleted the posts by the way), it only stalls when the reply is going to a new page. Tested it in about 3 places where the reply would be on the same page, and 3 where it would start a new page - all the times it would be on the same page it was fine, it was pretty much instant, but all the times it would start a new page, it stalled, and just kept spinning until I hit F5. Now I don't know why that is, but maybe it's helpful. And, again, it doesn't happen here whether the post is going to a new page or not. This happens on both FF3 and Chrome.
(2008-11-13, 04:18 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-13, 08:49 AM)cHarOn Wrote: [ -> ]but why then since 1.4.3 so often
There is absolutely no way that this was only started happening with 1.4.3's release.
There is. I did some research and found the cause for this.

inc/functions.php, line 773, MyBB 1.4.3 package:
echo "window.location = '".str_replace("'", "\'", $url)."';\n";
inc/functions.php, line 773, changed files package:
echo 'window.location = "'.addslashes($url).'";\n';
The first one is working, the second isn't. Because of that it only happens in boards that use the files from the changed files package.
Fix, in inc/functions.php find:

echo 'window.location = "'.addslashes($url).'";\n';

replace with

echo 'window.location = "'.addslashes($url).'";'."\n";

Found by michael83, thanks.

Ryan
Thank you for your bug report.

This bug has been fixed in our internal code repository. Please note that the problem will not be fixed here until these forums are updated.

With regards,
MyBB Group
Holy crap. I will make adjustment on my site to see if this corrects the issue. This wasn't a problem for 1.4.2 and yeah...that line is a 1.4.3 change.

Glad this is found. Thanks so much Michael.

Ryan thank you too for humoring us and letting this thread run. Sometimes something doesn't seem to be a bug but if you have dozens of users reporting an issue it really needs to be addressed even if it's not entirely mybb.

Thanks to EVERYONE that chimed in.
Should I be worried if I can't find that particular piece of code in my 1.4.3 MyBB? For some reason it already uses the "" there. I also ran a grep to find \n in single ' quotes and the only occurences I found were JavaScript (where I believe this is legal) and regexp calls to preg_* where it may be intentional. The quick reply problem also never happened to me in my 1.4.3 test forum and I tested quite a lot Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4