MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 newbie questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

1- How to make the text line (description) under each forum name to be displayed? I entered a description on the control panel, but the text do not appear on the forum index.

2- Is there a way to hide the statistic on the forum index page? It takes much space and it is not useful to my opinion.

Thank you!

PS: I am not familiar at all with forums and BB structure, I just know how to edit and upload a file... Please, be kind and give me clear instructions! Blush
Can we have a link to your forum, because I'd like to see why the description isn't showing. It is supposed to show beneath all forums with a description.

Also what version do you use?
(2008-11-10, 02:31 AM)Cultred Wrote: [ -> ]Also what version do you use?

Considering it's in the 1.4 section, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say 1.4... Toungue

(2008-11-10, 12:49 AM)Mordicus Wrote: [ -> ]1- How to make the text line (description) under each forum name to be displayed? I entered a description on the control panel, but the text do not appear on the forum index.

It does this by default, so I'm going to say this is probably leading to a skin issue. Have you changed the skin since you installed the forum?

(2008-11-10, 12:49 AM)Mordicus Wrote: [ -> ]2- Is there a way to hide the statistic on the forum index page? It takes much space and it is not useful to my opinion.

Statistics are useful, although there are two sets of stats that might appear.

Advanced Stats - Appears as "Generated in 0.3098509 seconds (21.51% PHP / 78.49% MySQL)...". This only appears for Forum Staff, but can be turned off at ACP -> Configuration (tab) -> Server and Optimization Options -> Advanced Stats / Debug information -> No

Forum Stats - Appears as "Our members have made a total of...". This can only be removed from the templates: ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates (left menu) -> Your Theme Options (Expand) -> Index Page Templates -> index_stats.
(2008-11-10, 08:49 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Forum Stats - Appears as "Our members have made a total of...". This can only be removed from the templates: ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates (left menu) -> Your Theme Options (Expand) -> Index Page Templates -> index_stats.

Actually, if you go ACP > Configuration > Forum Home Options > Show Small Stats Section > NO you can turn it off. Unless Mordicus did mean the server stats.

So if you want to remove this:

[attachment=11634]

It's ACP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Options > Advanced Stats / Debug information > NO

And if you want to remove this:

[attachment=11633]

It's ACP > Configuration > Forum Home Options > Show Small Stats Section > NO

Smile

Oh, and about the forum descriptions... please make sure that ACP > Configuration > Forum Home Options > Show Forum Descriptions? is set to YES.

Think that covers everything...
Thank you all for the replies and sorry for my late reaction!

It does this by default, so I'm going to say this is probably leading to a skin issue. Have you changed the skin since you installed the forum?

Quote:Can we have a link to your forum, because I'd like to see why the description isn't showing. It is supposed to show beneath all forums with a description.
It is password protected for now, so I am not sure you will be able to see it. But here is the link:
http://mwrenaissance.info/

Quote:Also what version do you use?
version 1.4

Quote:It does this by default, so I'm going to say this is probably leading to a skin issue. Have you changed the skin since you installed the forum?
I've tried to use and install others skins but just came back to the original one.

Quote:Forum Stats - Appears as "Our members have made a total of...". This can only be removed from the templates: ACP -> Templates & Style -> Templates (left menu) -> Your Theme Options (Expand) -> Index Page Templates -> index_stats.
Thank you so much! It worked!

Quote:It's ACP > Configuration > Forum Home Options > Show Small Stats Section > NO
Great! Thanks!

----------

Another question: the part in the head of the index page where some info are displayed is too wide (or too long). I would like it to be shorter, could you give me a way to change that? thank you!

[Image: screenip9.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]
Did you see what I said about fixing the forum descriptions?? And what do you mean by too wide?? If you make that any thinner, it'll go on more lines.
Quote:Did you see what I said about fixing the forum descriptions??
Yes, it worked! Smile It came back after I changed the option.

Quote:And what do you mean by too wide?? If you make that any thinner, it'll go on more lines.

Please compare this one (my current default theme):

[Image: screenip9.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

with, for example, this one:
[Image: screen2kp9.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]
Goodo Smile

Oh, to get that you need to use the Afresh themes: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-31174.html