MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changing Default Email Notify Setting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back in 1.2, there was a terrific thread (now closed) discussing how to make "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" default to "yes":
Click here to view the closed thread.

Can anyone provide updated information for 1.4.3?
Because I doubt you want to make source code edits, (and therefore stop you having to change this everything member.php is updated in an upgrade), I thought the easiest way would be to alter the templates. In (Theme) -> Member Templates -> member_register, find:

<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
		<option value="0" {$no_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="1" {$no_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="2" {$instant_email_subscribe_selected}>{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
	</select>

... or something to that effect, and change to...

<select name="subscriptionmethod" id="subscriptionmethod">
		<option value="0">{$lang->no_auto_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="1">{$lang->no_email_subscribe}</option>
		<option value="2" selected="selected">{$lang->instant_email_subscribe}</option>
	</select>

That will make the default thread subscription to instantly email on a new reply. However, the user MUST post in that thread first to get notifications. Downside of this is that if there is an error on registration, no matter what the user picks it will default back to instant email on POST.
That looks about right but I think you have a } that shouldn't be there where you've put the selection bit.
(2008-11-10, 10:30 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]That looks about right but I think you have a } that shouldn't be there where you've put the selection bit.

Damn my eating and posting... thanks - fixed post...

Sleepy
Thanks Tom and Matt! I'll give it a try!
Thank you - this worked perfectly for me.
no matter what the user picks it will default back to instant email on POST

ok instead putting it default threw templete

i would want to make it without being an option just permantly having it send emails once posting and there is a reply or a new message from anotehr user and it will not give them a option to be able to change it to something else

can this be done permantly somehow threw admin where they will recieve a email whether its from anoptehr user and or threw a reply from a thread they had posted or responded to
You can remove the option for them to change it easily enough, and run an SQL query to set it for current users, and to set it for new users will probably need an edit to a template too. However, are you really sure you want to?? Think about how many emails your server will have to send out if emails are sent for every post. Also your users may get a bit annoyed if they get hundreds of emails and may change their email address to a fake one so they don't get them....
i agree * wasnt thinking of that *
but yah they would be sorta pissed
email server is limitted so thats why i agree