MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB using Prototype
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been looking into extending the use of Prototype in MyBB with plugins I'm making for a project - after all, if you're including a big JS library why not use it?!? Toungue

A problem I'm coming across though is the fact I only have 1.6.0.3 (I've been experimenting with tooltips). Is MyBB planning on updating the Prototype libraries alongside upgrade releases? At the moment, it's still using 1.6.0.2...

Also, just as a suggestion, why not just use Google to provide the library? By using http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.x/prototype.js it saves both bandwidth and space...
(2008-11-10, 09:48 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]after all, if you're including a big JS library why not use it?!? Toungue
Good idea
(2008-11-10, 09:48 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]A problem I'm coming across though is the fact I only have 1.6.0.3 (I've been experimenting with tooltips). Is MyBB planning on updating the Prototype libraries alongside upgrade releases? At the moment, it's still using 1.6.0.2...
Is it not possible with 1.6.0.2?
(2008-11-10, 09:48 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Also, just as a suggestion, why not just use Google to provide the library? By using http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/prototype/1.6.0.x/prototype.js it saves both bandwidth and space...
The people using MyBB on a local intranet with no internet access will cry. And who knows what Google will do to its files on April 1st.
(2008-11-10, 08:06 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]... Who knows what Google will do to its files on April 1st.

Touché... they did put Rick Astley all over YouTube... Sleepy

There are some updates to 1.6.0.2 and various bug fixes. I thought a problem with one of the plugins was my coding but it turned out to be an error in Prototype - so the only option for that one is to use 1.6.0.3.

I just thought I'd suggest upgrading the library with each release (it's not like they do an upgrade every week) to keep things up to date. It's normally backwards compatible anyway, and you never know - it could be Prototype causing some of the problems people are experiencing...

(Does the quick reply use Prototype?...)