MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2 forums on the same server?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I were to install 2 forums on the same server, would that be regarded as an unwise move?

I have the disc space, bandwidth etc.

I am just thinking of the speed of the forums.
Well it shouldn't affect it really... if your hosting plan has plenty of bandwith to cope with 2 forums, it'll be fine Smile How big are you planning on them being??
Make sure your cookie settings are set correctly.
No reason you can't have dozens of them on one server. What's a factor is the size of each one. Some sites require multiple servers while some sites are small and literally hundreds could fit on one server.

The biggest issue is mysql imho. Your database size to RAM is important. If you have 800MB worth of database and only 1gb of ram...you're in trouble. I would do a 2-1 ratio (ram to db) at least...(4-1 is best).

Bandwidth depends on your ISP really...a 10mb unlimited pipe is around 7000GB transfer per month. That's a lot. Enough for about 500+ users online at all times...possibly more.
(2008-11-11, 12:52 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest issue is mysql imho. Your database size to RAM is important. If you have 800MB worth of database and only 1gb of ram...you're in trouble. I would do a 2-1 ratio (ram to db) at least...(4-1 is best).

Bandwidth depends on your ISP really...a 10mb unlimited pipe is around 7000GB transfer per month. That's a lot. Enough for about 500+ users online at all times...possibly more.

Thanks for the information!
You also need to make sure that they have different database prefixes like for the first on

First Forum: mybb_
Second Forum: mybb2_

Or something like that.
(2008-11-14, 02:31 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]You also need to make sure that they have different database prefixes like for the first on

First Forum: mybb_
Second Forum: mybb2_

Or something like that.

Unless you use a totally new database Toungue
Yes.
Of course.