MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Mail Reply Address: Issue Resolved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I did a search for the answer to my question until I got a migraine so forgive this post if the answer is obvious and I missed it...

I'm using PHP mail

When you send an email from my forum to a user, the reply address is the admin email address, meaning I, not the sender, get every email reply.

I did not find any where in the ACP where this could be changed.

How do I get the senders email as the reply to address so any replys go to the original sender and not me?

Also, is there an answer to the SMTP problem that I have seen posted
regarding "The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command" in the log file when trying to use SMTP.

Everything else that uses my SMTP server work well?

Thanks for any help !
(2008-11-12, 08:32 PM)classixiii Wrote: [ -> ]When you send an email from my forum to a user, the reply address is the admin email address, meaning I, not the sender, get every email reply.

This was identified as a bug and fixed for the next maintenance release. This only affects the "user-to-user" mail and doesn't affect the other forum notices.
(2008-11-12, 08:34 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-12, 08:32 PM)classixiii Wrote: [ -> ]When you send an email from my forum to a user, the reply address is the admin email address, meaning I, not the sender, get every email reply.

This was identified as a bug and fixed for the next maintenance release. This only affects the "user-to-user" mail and doesn't affect the other forum notices.

Thanks!

Any idea on timing?
Timing on the next release?? Nobody knows, nobody ever knows, updates are ready when they're ready Smile
If you mean the release date of the next version, no there is no release date. It'll come when it's ready.
(2008-11-12, 08:41 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]If you mean the release date of the next version, no there is no release date. It'll come when it's ready.

I understand that, I was thinking maybe a bugfix or instructions to fix this particular issue since it has been identified, and if you have an active board can be a real pain.

Thanks
Try this: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-37844.html I believe this is the original bug report and there is a fix in there.
(2008-11-12, 08:53 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Try this: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-37844.html I believe this is the original bug report and there is a fix in there.

That's the ticket!

Saves me from being a mail sorter.

I really appreciate the quick response.

Just out of curiosity - any info on the SMPT thing I asked about

Thanks Again
Ok try this (untested):

In inc/mailhandlers/smtp.php, find:
                        if(!$this->send_data('MAIL FROM:<'.$this->from.'>', '250'))
                        {
                                $this->fatal_error("The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command");
                                return false;
                        }
Replace with:
                        if(!$this->send_data('MAIL From:<'.$this->from.'>', '250'))
                        {
                                $this->fatal_error("The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command");
                                return false;
                        }

Let me know if that works or not. I have a suspicion you may end up with another error or the same error.
(2008-11-12, 11:50 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Ok try this (untested):

In inc/mailhandlers/smtp.php, find:
                        if(!$this->send_data('MAIL FROM:<'.$this->from.'>', '250'))
                        {
                                return false;
                        }
Replace with:
                        if(!$this->send_data('MAIL From:<'.$this->from.'>', '250'))
                        {
                                return false;
                        }

Let me know if that works or not. I have a suspicion you may end up with another error or the same error.

Sorry - tried it - exact same error
Pages: 1 2 3