MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Admin CP keeps requesting login
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I installed the French language pack, each time I try to make a change to the board settings, I get taken back to the login screen, and my changes are not saved. I've set the whole board to 777 temporarily but that hasn't helped. Looking at /inc/settings.php the cookie paths etc don't match the CP page settings shown.
The forum is now in French, but I don't think this change was the cause. I've got two versions of the board running on different virtual domain names, but on the same server. Are my cookies getting confused? settings.php on the German board is empty.
is you cookie settings set to .site.com ?
I had this problem too until I found out about the cookie path setting. No issues experienced since then. What happens if you delete all your cookies and login to the Admin CP excusively. Does it still kick you out then even though you do not have any other cookies that it could be confused with? Can you have a look at the cookie data using Firefox Webdeveloper Toolbar or Firebug or similar, does it use the cookie path that you set in your config there?
Link to your forum?? When you update cookie settings in ./inc/settings.php you must then also change them in the ACP. And settings.php shouldn't be empty, make sure it's set to 666.
The cookie setting in the ACP is not the same as the setting in settings.php, but I cannot change anything in the ACP because as soon as I click on Save, it chucks me out without saving (despite all now being 777) and takes me back to the login.

I have tried deleting all cookies immediately prior to logging in to the site. I'm effectively locked out as administrator. However this is a new install, so my best route is probably to delete everything and re-install.

I had problems with the original file permissions, because the owner of the files uploaded by ftp is not the id used by Apache, so 644 doesn't really mean what it says until I 'chown' the files to www. However it was all fine until I added the French skin.
You can simply edit /inc/settings.php in wordpad, or a html editor, and then upload it to your host once you've changed the cookie settings.

This should get you back into your ACP.

When you're back in, go to the general configuration settings, check they are the same, then save - even if you don't make any changes. This will update the database with the right settings.
Thanks Tom, I fixed it as you suggested.
(2008-11-13, 08:51 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]update cookie settings in ./inc/settings.php you must then also change them in the ACP.

I said to do that...
I think it was saving the ACP even when there was no change to be made that made the difference between the two suggestions, but of course, thanks for your help too. Somehow they seemed to have got out of synch. This is my first few days of using this software and I'm extremely impressed with the amount of help one gets, and the speed. I'm changing several sites from old versions of Ikonboard to mybb. I placed a request on the Ikonboard forum 3 days ago for a link to language skins for the current version and still haven't had a response from anyone.... in the meantime I've got this installed and online in three languages!