MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A serious question for the devs of MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
@labrocca rad my first post again and see if there was a question about WHO the dev teams were
The question was another one

(2008-11-16, 01:04 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]When u first started to write the forum and i mean the alpha code of 0.0.1 or so.
The very first file and such, did u have a very big experience with PHP?
As im am going to start writing a forum on my own unfortunately i don't have that much knowledge in php like you guys do. I know the basics.
I was learning classes a long time ago but i abandoned that and rested a while. So what knowledge did u have then when u first decided to write mybb(or it was not mybb then)?
take this steps, maybe thats help you.
  1. decide the core feature that your script will deal with
  2. try to think hard to make a very clean plan for your script
    like how many mysql tables you will need, and the best and hardest part is the database design
    but once you make it simple and clear the rest will be easier
  3. start with making the absolutely core file
    like db connect file, settings files.
  4. back to your plan (this one depend on your second step) and see which feature you will begin with.
  5. once you get your foot on the 1st feature and you done it nice, everything else will became more easier, just don't disappoint and don't give up, and try to google the things that require more knowledge
I already started my 1st blog system with this simple steps.
and I did it, with some cool feature that I wasn't even imagine that I'll learn how to do it someday.
Quote:When u first started to write the forum and i mean the alpha code of 0.0.1 or so.
The very first file and such, did u have a very big experience with PHP?

http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/History

I believe that would have answered your question which is why I suggested you took some time to research. When the answers are available for you others shouldn't have to be your researchers. There is a lot of information available in the wiki about the dev team including the developers and where they started.

I believe this answers your question:
Quote:Years ago, Chris Boulton, web34rk and b0ndman started developing XMB. After some time, web34rk and b0ndman left the team and Chris became lead developer of a team with two other developers. Over time, staff shifted again and several developers didn't like the way things were heading. Together, they forked XMB and created DevBB. DevBB was the predecessor to MyBB, a temporary solution for people to use whilst MyBB was being developed.

And at some point everyone starts at zero. They learn over time. It's up to you when you start, how far you want to go, and what projects you want to begin with. You can start with a forum, a cms, a simple script, or whatever you want. The mybb developers I am pretty sure didn't on day with PHP start writing XMB.

Most people imho start with preexisting code and "learn it" then they learn how to manipulate it for their own needs. Next they learn to write their own code how they want it.
Found a forum that runs on DevBB with posts from just over a month ago: http://www.greyfusion.net/goo/forums/index.php
I think most of us devs at least have some past PHP experience before joining the team, although it is possible for you to code a forum system with no PHP experience at all -- all it takes is time.

Take this analogy: If you have no experience, you're basically bashing your head against a brick wall trying to get through to the other side. It's tough, but it's not impossible.
If you have PHP experience, then maybe you have a hammer and a few other tools. It won't be as time consuming as the above, to break through the brick wall, but it still involves some effort.
It's definitely going to take time. It's not like a 5minute walk in the park. If you are a lone developer it's definitely going to take a lot of time, unless you're going to develop 12 hours a day 7 days a week non stop. Toungue
12 hours? Why not just 8? The other 4 should be for shower, breakfast, lunch, dinner and girls. Sometimes you might wanna ditch dinner and add another girls in there. Toungue
Pages: 1 2