MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help with Guests, Groups and Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I have myBB 1.4.3 up and running for a few weeks now - thanks for the help with that.

If the following is covered elsewhere, please refer me, although I couldn't find anything:

The membership of the forum is such (as installation default) that guests can read the posts but nothing else. It was decided to offer approved membership to limit membership to those agreed by the forum owner.

What I would like to do, is to test a means whereby none of the threads are visible unless a viewer is logged in - effectively removing all guest permissions.

If I simply use the dashboard tools to remove guest permissions, the forum itself is not even visible.

I do not wish to email individual members to have to instruct them to log in, I would like to leave the main categories visible to all, to preferably use an announcement at forum 'home' level that explains the need to log in to view the content. If I post an announcement at category level, the announcement itself is not visible if child forums are not visible.

As I say, I would like something to remain visible at the forum otherwise it appears that the forum content has disappeared. The intention in all of this is to be able to see exactly who is using the forum and who is logging in, out etc. and to thereby 'force' all viewers to log in.

Is there a way I can do this?

Thanks
ACP > Users & Groups > Groups > **choose group** > Forums and Posts (this is probably how you've done it so far).

ACP > Forums & Posts > **choose forum** > Options > Permissions > **choose group** > Edit Permissions/Set Permissions. This is where you can fine-tune permissions for each forum. You can make it so they can see a category but not the forums inside (on the index), see the categories and forums on the index but not see inside the forums, let them be able to see forums, and thread list inside but not read the threads themselves... any combination you want.
Hi Matt,

Many thanks for that. In fact, I had even got as far as the second stage you suggest, but hadn't noticed (until your post told me to check) that selecting the custom permissions for each group did not automatically default the overriding option - which was to use custom settings. So I had set the tweaked permissions, but the ACP needed telling to use them all.

Works fine now - thanks a lot.
Ahh I see, yeah I should have also mentioned that setting. Glad it's working Smile