MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A way to hide a forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
Can someone write a plugin that will make a forum (or a full category) hidden from the users/groups, but will be reached using a direct link? Today if you "hide" a forum, it causes problems either seeing it or writing in it as "hiding" a forum/category is disabling the ability to write groups in it.

Thanks,
Ori...
One thing you could do is make a forum which is hidden to everyone, then make your special forum a subforum of this one (make sure you set the permissions so that it's viewable). The result is that the forum isn't indexed, but still accessible via a direct link.
Thanks Yumi. It works perfectly!
There is an old post I wrote in the general support about this (among other questions). No one had a solution (including the support team).

Again - thanks,
Ori...
Hmm i tried what you said Yumi and it didnt work for me. Could you provide a better example of how you would do it.
Not sure how else it could be explained really. Make the forum totally invisible, and then make a subforum with all the proper permissions. It won't be seen on the index but can be found with a direct link.
The way to do this is:
1. Create a category/forum (I called it "Hidden") with every one that you want to be able to get into / post with permission set to "All", except "View" (I left admins with "View" for easy use).
2. Create a child forum (I called it "Special") with the permissions you want to give each user group (remember - if you gave a permission other then "All" in the category, the child forum will inherit it).
3. Change whatever other attributes of the forum you want (do NOT change the permissions you gave in step no. 2 - you can, but please wait to test it first and then do the fine tuning).
4. Check what no. the forum got and try to serf into it with a user that is able to see/post in it and with one that doesn't - with the one that doesn't, you should get a message asking you to signin with a different user.

Good luck,
Ori...
(2008-11-19, 11:06 AM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how else it could be explained really. Make the forum totally invisible, and then make a subforum with all the proper permissions. It won't be seen on the index but can be found with a direct link.

just quote yumi's post and save you the typing Wink
2 month old thread... Huh
something has been funny then, i go see threads and it says it's from 2008 but, theres only like 3 posts..and it appears to me that it's new.
Because you just haven't opened it since the last post so it'll still say it's new.
Pages: 1 2