MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Two Questions about Groups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

1. If I want to grant a custom Group permissions in only one forum (e.g. Forum A) is the recommend method to set custom Group's default permissions nothing and overide this in the one forum (e.g. A) . I am finding new custom Groups have permission in existing Forums that are not wanted. I assumed the default permission for a new custom Group in an existing Forum would be zero.
  2. If a person is a member of two groups that have different permission levels in the same Forum - how does the system resolve the conflict?

Many many thanks for any help and insight.
1. Yeah, ACP > Forums & Posts > **choose forum** > Options > Permissions > **choose group** > Edit Permissions/Set Permissions > say to use the custom permissions below > set custom permissions for that forum.

2. I'm not sure if it will use the permissions of their primary group or display group, if these are different, but it'll be one of those.
1. Yeah, ACP > Forums & Posts > **choose forum** > Options > Permissions > **choose group** > Edit Permissions/Set Permissions > say to use the custom permissions below > set custom permissions for that forum.

Hi Matt - The problem is that any new custom group with some default permissions - appears to get those permission in every existing Forum. I then need to edit the permission in every existing Forum - time consuming.
It appears simpler to give the custom group no default permission and then provide custom permission in the few applicable Forums .

Thanks for your help.
Well yeah, the permissions set in the usergroup settings will automatically be applied to the forums, and if you want custom permissions for a particular forum, you edit them in the forum permission settings.
(2008-11-17, 09:41 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Well yeah, the permissions set in the usergroup settings will automatically be applied to the forums, and if you want custom permissions for a particular forum, you edit them in the forum permission settings.

Sorry Matt - It is still not making sense to me. I see that it makes sense to set the usergroup settings to zero and custom adjust them in the particular forum. I also understand how to do this. But I think this is creating another problem that I don't understand how to get around. If all forums automatically inherit ALL usergroup default permissions, they are bound to conflict and create a great deal of manual editing to manage.

There should be a method of ignoring the default setting for a user group (ignoring the group all together) for any Forum. This is how the Access Control Lists work in systems like Lotus Notes.

As is - I've got the go through every forum each time a custom group is added and edit the permissions

Thanks,
How will there be a conflict if the forums use the permissions set in the usergroup permissions?? If you set a usergroup to be able to create new posts in the usergroup settings, this will be the initial permission when a forum is created. You can then edit them for that forum if you want them to be different from the usergroup permissions.
Sorry Matt - I am not able to explain my problem clearly. I do understand what you are suggesting about the steps and process, but I am still stuck.

I am assuming that the lowest permission "the NO" in a Forum is applied in MyBB (e.g. Banned) Is this incorrect?

I've got two Forums (FA & FB) each with restricted permissions using custom Groups (GA & GB). GB is NOT allow to view Forum A and visa versa.

The problem is there is one user that is a member of both GA and GB. Forum A permissions allows this user based on the permission for GA, but block this user based on the permissions for GB. Is it possible that MYBB accepts any "Yes"?

How then does the Banned Group work. I assumed if you were a member of the Banned group any higher permissions would be overridden.

Thank you immensely for taking the time to try to set me straight.
First, the permissions from the primary group are loaded, then the system loads the secondary permissions and replaces the 'YES' from the secondary ones into the already loaded permissions of the primary one.