MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Unable to recover password of super admin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been stupid. I used a randomly generated password and forgot what it is.. I tried recovering but when I get the randomly generated password from MyBB it wont work.. saying that Im using the wrong password

how do I recover the password using the DB? Sad
1) Use a test forum, fresh install, or any other copy of MyBB.
2) Go into that DB and find the users table.
3) Select a user for which you know the password (yourself)
4) Copy the password and salt into the first user on the forum you are locked out of.

Now you can login Smile
Quote:You may be unlucky enough to forget your admin password and not be able to retrieve it from the Lost Password link. If this is the case, all hope is not lost. In PHPMyAdmin, or some other database manager, run this query:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `password` = '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6', `salt` = '' WHERE `uid` = 'X'

Change the X to your user ID and make sure your table prefix is correct. This will turn your password to simply 'test'. Now, log in, and change your password... and try and remember it

I take no credit for this Toungue

Source: http://www.learnmybb.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=61
And actually neither do I as I saw Dennis post it first!! Toungue But that's the easiest way IMO, rather than having to create a new user.
It's always great to learn a better way.
thanks for this guys Smile
Damn this still doesnt work..
well as an admin I changed my username to something else.. does that affect anything?
(2008-11-19, 03:18 AM)Stephon Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:You may be unlucky enough to forget your admin password and not be able to retrieve it from the Lost Password link. If this is the case, all hope is not lost. In PHPMyAdmin, or some other database manager, run this query:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `password` = '098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6', `salt` = '' WHERE `uid` = 'X'

Change the X to your user ID and make sure your table prefix is correct. This will turn your password to simply 'test'. Now, log in, and change your password... and try and remember it

I take no credit for this Toungue

Source: http://www.learnmybb.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=61

Thank you soooo much. I will try it and see what happens.