MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: User reset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think you should install a user reset feature.

It should be in the admin cp and should be able to do the following;

1. Reinstate posting privileges
  2. Reinstate post without approval (If Allowed on Forum)
  3. Send user a new password
  4. Remove account lockout due to failed login attempts
  5. Reset post count
  6. Require re-activation
  7. Require user to change password at next logon

I think they should all be check boxes and you can check which options you want to use on that account and then click proceed to make the forum do what you have asked. This would be very helpful, from my point of view anyway.

Currently to reinstate privileges from the warning system you have to do it from PhpMyAdmin and you cant make a user change their password.

Please think about this.
Thank you.
I'll put a number for each of your bullets.

1. You can do this easily already (I think there was a bug with it but it should be fixed in 1.4.4).
2. Just remove the moderation
3. Why would that be needed??
4. Raise the limit of failed logins and if they can't remember it after, say, 5 attempts, then they need a password they can actually remember.
5. You can do that already.
6. Why would you want to do that??
7. Again, why??

I mean if you can explain some of them a bit more I might be more convinced.
(2008-11-19, 05:10 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]I'll put a number for each of your bullets.

1. You can do this easily already (I think there was a bug with it but it should be fixed in 1.4.4).
2. Just remove the moderation
3. Why would that be needed??
4. Raise the limit of failed logins and if they can't remember it after, say, 5 attempts, then they need a password they can actually remember.
5. You can do that already.
6. Why would you want to do that??
7. Again, why??

I mean if you can explain some of them a bit more I might be more convinced.

How do you reinstate posting privileges and make it not require moderation?

3. Sometimes users ask you to change their password because they cant do it themselves for some reason. It would be easier to click a box instead of having to make one up yourself etc.

4. My board allows 5 failed login attempts yet I still get asked to reset the number of failed login attempts and it takes way to long to do it without a feature.

6. There are services that provide temporary email addresses.

7. I like to make sure the other board admins change their passwords. Using this would help. Please dont say ask them to do it, I know they dont thats why I want to FORCE them to.
Well if you made a warning level to make it so a user's posts need moderation, you should be able to just revoke it - actually I think this was the bug I mentioned and currently it doesn't work.

3. Why send them one in an email when they can say what they want it to be, and then you change it in the ACP??

4. If they keep forgetting it even after 5 attempts, they need a better one. It's up to them to remember it, not you to keep resetting it.

6. You can ban specific email domains, can't you??

7. Ok, I suppose something to make passwords expire could be useful. However, if your users can't remember their password as it is, if you want them to have a new one, they'll probably be even worse.
(2008-11-19, 05:23 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you made a warning level to make it so a user's posts need moderation, you should be able to just revoke it - actually I think this was the bug I mentioned and currently it doesn't work.

3. Why send them one in an email when they can say what they want it to be, and then you change it in the ACP??

4. If they keep forgetting it even after 5 attempts, they need a better one. It's up to them to remember it, not you to keep resetting it.

6. You can ban specific email domains, can't you??

7. Ok, I suppose something to make passwords expire could be useful. However, if your users can't remember their password as it is, if you want them to have a new one, they'll probably be even worse.

3. I would much rather have to click one button and have it done for me.

4. I know, but some members try to guess admin passwords which then stops staff logging in for 2 hours. Well, thats what my staff tell me. They try to log in and find their account locked. Never happened to me tho.

6. I really do not have time to go in search of domains to ban.

7. Yup, I would rather have members locked out than a malicious user getting in.
3. yeah but would you not have to still type what it's going to send to them?? Or would it be a standard password that would always be sent out??

4. Well 2 hours is a long time to wait, but maybe admins should be able to bypass it. Or you could lie to your members and tell them you know who's been doing it and say that if they carry on you'll perma-ban them Toungue

6. Well if you know which domains they use that are temporary, you can just ban those, no?? I've never even heard of temporary email addresses to be honest.
(2008-11-19, 05:31 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]3. yeah but would you not have to still type what it's going to send to them?? Or would it be a standard password that would always be sent out??

4. Well 2 hours is a long time to wait, but maybe admins should be able to bypass it. Or you could lie to your members and tell them you know who's been doing it and say that if they carry on you'll perma-ban them Toungue

6. Well if you know which domains they use that are temporary, you can just ban those, no?? I've never even heard of temporary email addresses to be honest.

3. I was thinking randomly generated.

4. Well if you get your password wrong 5 times in a row im guessing its not your account...besides if I found out who it was they would not get a warning it would be banned straight away.

6. I don't know them all