MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DevBB vs. MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I've been reffered to this site (mybboard.com) from a footer link in forum that is called DevBB, as I wanted to find an updated version (currently using DevBB 1.0.0) and it surprised me that, on this site, there is a different forum app.

My question would be, is MyBB an updated version of DevBB (changed brand identity in the process of developing) or you registered expired domain name from another board?

A bit confused...

Thank you.
MyBB came after DevBB, but I'm not exactly sure how the history goes.
From what I've heard, Chris Boulton used to help develop DevBB and then XMB (or was it that other way around) but went his own way to develop MyBB. He obviously owned, or bought the domain off DevBB and is now using it for this forum software.
being an ex-DevBB user myself....yes...devbb is the origins....but MyBB is worlds apart.....I would definitely recommend migrating to this for many reasons...not least secuyrity-reasons....DevBB was develope during time when SQL-injections were a wet dream of some script-kiddies...it's a little different today though...
However, prepare for a little bit of work....there has never been really a proper migration-tool written from DevBB to MyBB....Svenson (a member of this site as well although not seen for a while now) wrote a simple migration script that migrated the members, forums and posts...however it never touched the rest of the stuff...attachments, pictures, calendar (was there even one in DevBB can't remember) themes etc.
So I just bit the bullet and migrated....not the ideal solution, but well worth it in the end if you ask any of my users...

cheers,
Kimmo

PS. I would think that a copy of the migration-file (a php-file) is still here somewhere in the forums...maybe archived....look for user svenson and look at his posts...or mine for that matter from maybe 2 years ago....it should be there somewhere where I discussed the tool with him...
Ok people, I've known Chris for a few years. Here's the story as I know it. Chris used to develop a forum called XMB. Then lots of politics/drama happened and he and a few others left to create MyBB. Since they started XMB they rebranded it DevBB and fixed all the bugs. That was their product until MyBB was nearing completion. Thats my understanding. In Chris' own words:
Chris Boulton Wrote:As many know, I previously worked on XMB (This is how I learned PHP too), in its initial stages where webfr34k was the project leader. My first code submissions were in 0.25, and by 0.5 I had made the "development and support team". When webfr34k put the project up for grabs as he became bored of it, revres_xunil took ownership and leadership of the product. This is where things began to change.. I didn't like his management and ideas for the project so at version 1.5 I left along with other developers to form DevBB and Richard took over XMB. DevBB was our temporary forum software for users whilst we worked on MyBB..
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...283#pid283
Thanks for explaining...
I'll try to port db to MyBB with these tools you suggested.
here's the thread where teh devbb-mybb tool was....very simple but it works....and got me over...sure I lost images and attachments and a whole bunch of other stuff....but it got over the most important stuff...the discussions...that's what forums are usually about...

also if you're a little familiar with MyBB, php and mySQL....it shouldn't be impossible to improve on this script quite a bit...

http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=51

cheers,
Kimmo
Kimmo Wrote:Svenson (a member of this site as well although not seen for a while now)

Hei... im here... Toungue

anyway.. about devbb then yes... i made lot of fixes and mods for that...

i think i burned all my devbb stuff into cd...

p.s. I know i made that script work so that it converted whole data nicely ( into mybb early version)... but due my comp. hardware update i think I lost it somewhere where i cannot find it anymore...

Keep it simple,
svenson
Quote:i think i burned all my devbb stuff into cd...
Wouldn't mind having copies of all of the old releases if you still have them? Toungue