MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't Delete MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a server and i had installed MyBB 1.4 and then I tried to take it off. and not finding any uninstall things. i just tried to delete it but then it left behind anything in the "cache/themes/" folder. which i know to be the themes folder. but every time i try to delete the files it doesn't due to a permission error.Angry and then i try switching permissions and some it wont change to and some don't make a difference to weather i can delete it. HELP!!!!!!!! HuhASAP!!!!!
What type of server was MyBB installed on?

It really shouldn't be an issue to delete the physical files.. What are you using to remove the files? An FTP client? More details please.
I still have some test directories on my account because the ./cache/themes/ folder wouldn't delete and I just left them, I too got a permission error when trying to delete them. Happens to me when using CPanel or Windows Explorer - they delete and re-appear in CPanel, and show the error in WE. Very weird.
You could always point your host to the problem... there shouldn't be anything stopping you from removing anything physically...

You host should be able to simply remove it, and if it's an error on the server, fix it at the same time.
Yeah I fiugured it was probably some weird host issue but it never really bothered me enough to sort it out Toungue
It's a Linux server. For FTP it gives me error code 550. In CPanel It acts like it deletes it then reappears.

And Matt knows what i'm talking about I have CPanel installed and i have tried using the File Manager(both of them) and i have also tried FTPing in and deleting them thinking it was a CPanel error but that had no effect.

Yea i might try and see what my friend can do but my latest feeling is that maybe some part of Linux needs to have permissions changed. Yea it is VERY weird.
Yeah, exact same problem... can't even delete the files in the folder... I'll try editing all the content out of the file and see what that does.
Try to change CH-MOD of the folders, it's weird but sometimes it changes something lol.
Tried that, no luck. It's the files that can't be deleted, not the folders per se.
The problem is that the files were created by the local PHP user account for the server with the username "Nobody" or "Apache" and thus are owned by the server's PHP process as it created the files. Thus when you try to delete or CHMOD the files you get errors because you are not the owner and do not have permission to delete the files.

To delete the files you would have to run a PHP script on the server to delete them through a PHP script as this would delete them using the "Nobody" PHP user account rather than your CPanel username which doesn't have permission to alter the files.