MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Having trouble with lagging thread/editor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all...

I have been to two other forums and tried to post a huge amount of text and preview it, including here, and it does not lag the two forums.

On my own forums, a user posted a huge amount of text and it loads extremely slow as a page in Internet Explorer 7 (Firefox is ok), and also in the text editor when editing through Internet Explorer 7.

It is not very laggy in here but the text editor is still considerably laggy. The lag is more terrible than what I experience here when I post this. This affects both the default and the Office 2007 editors. It's really troubling me.

This is an example (I split the original post to 8 parts, and this is just testing post by me.)

- Removed the testing post -

I was thinking if the youtube tags are the cause of it, since the two forums including here do not support youtube tags. What can I do to prevent this massive lagging?
Well if the server has to load a huge amount of text or load a lot of videos, is it not reasonable to assume it might take a while?? If I make a huge post here and try and preview it, it can take a while to load. If your server isn't as powerful as the one used here, which I doubt it is, it won't be able to load everything as quickly as a more powerful server. As for the link you gave, there's a good hundred videos and images there, is it any wonder that a post that huge with all that takes a while to load?? And IE7 is generally slow anyway.

A solution would be to just not try and pack so much stuff like that into a single post.
Ok...no the loading time is ok, I accept that it takes a while to load...just that somehow, when I tried to edit the massive text on IE7, the whole editor lags for like 10 seconds sometimes when I highlight and edit them. I don't think it is the server's fault for this? I'm slightly puzzled since the videos aren't even loaded on the full edit page. It can be IE's fault though as you have said...

I've split the posts anyway, so there is not much of a problem now. Thanks!
Yeah IE is generally slow, even though they claim it's fast. In FF, Opera, Chrome, and Safari, when I click to open a new tab, for example, it's instant, but it takes a good few seconds for IE to open one. So either change browsers, or expect IE to make you wait a little bit.
Matt, some of my users are threatening to leave because their editor box is very slow. Unlike the previous poster, I have nothing clogging my pages, just text of average lengths. But when users try to post their own messages, they claim they are waiting 5 to 10 seconds per keystroke for the cursor to move and the character to appear within the editor box.

You seemed to blame it all too easily on IE, which is fine. But I need to know "What" is causing IE to do this. Is it a javascript library that is listening to the textarea box, or some kind of AJAX rig? Is there anything I can disable editor-wise to prevent my IE users from enduring this lag?

My forum is new and it's on a pretty fast server. The editor box works fine on other browsers, except IE. I would like to identify what the exact issue is so I can go in and disable it for IE users.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Seng

(2008-11-23, 01:53 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah IE is generally slow, even though they claim it's fast. In FF, Opera, Chrome, and Safari, when I click to open a new tab, for example, it's instant, but it takes a good few seconds for IE to open one. So either change browsers, or expect IE to make you wait a little bit.
*bump*

(2008-11-23, 01:53 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah IE is generally slow, even though they claim it's fast. In FF, Opera, Chrome, and Safari, when I click to open a new tab, for example, it's instant, but it takes a good few seconds for IE to open one. So either change browsers, or expect IE to make you wait a little bit.