MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Before you ask: Common problems with Mass Mail and email sending in general..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Well, I noticed that the community is many similar questions on the topic of problems with mass email and email sending in general. In this thread, I'll be trying to go through every aspect that may be causing the problem of 'not sending emails'. Go through each of them step by step, confirm that each of them is working ok and when everything fails (very unlikely), post a support request and please do not forget to provide details, not just "emails aren't sending!". So, here we go:

Firstly: Checking that there are no problems with the SERVER

Especially if you're on a free server, the first thing you should do is check that the phpsendmail() function is working on it. For information about how to confirm that, see here. If the test script did not work, get in contact with your host and get to know whether there are any restrictions on php sendmail() and how to solve them.

Secondly: The script has worked! But I am still having troubleSad

Then:
DennisTT Wrote:If you register, do you get the email? Do any other emails work like Mass PM, subscriptions, etc?

If other emails are sent but you still can't use the Mass email function:

Then:
Tom.M Wrote:Just keep refreshing the index page to see if they get sent... I know a few people who are having this problem, although there isn't a real solution to it.

Still no luck?
Tom.M Wrote:The only way I can get that to work is if I do to it a local address, such as admin@localhost...

A common error that comes up is that the mail server doesn't understand the MAIL FROM command, which happens on our work's exchange server, which uses it all the time apparently.

A WORKAROUND, NOT an actual FIX:

See this post: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-385...#pid264948

Why isn't it a 'fix', then?
DennisTT Wrote:Please note you will have reduced functionality of the mail class. You will not be able to send HTML mass mails and the "from" and "reply-to" email addresses will not be shown. So this really isn't a "fix" but just a workaround.

These are the most common email problems' solutions. In addition, I would like to add that a lot of users attempt to use Google's SMTP to send emails. I went through most posts regarding this on the forum and no one has succeeded to get Google to work. I am saying this so as not to lose your time with Google. Also, something that I have learnt from my experience is that over 95% of email problems come FROM free servers. If you're on a paid server, you're very unlikely to suffer from such trouble. In addition, if you had any trouble, it's much more easier to get it resolved with your host.

Well, that concludes this short tutorial. What I did is just go through many of the problems and see suggested solutions as well as identify what has worked for some users and add a bit of my humble experience.

I hope this helped anyone and please, if you have something to add or anything to correct, just post a reply.Smile

Enjoy sending emails!Smile:p
i must ask
Quote:If other emails are sent but you still can't use the Mass email function:
and
Quote:The only way I can get that to work is if I do to it a local address, such as admin@localhost...

A common error that comes up is that the mail server doesn't understand the MAIL FROM command, which happens on our work's exchange server, which uses it all the time apparently.
yes, my server spits out the same.. it doesn't understand the MAIL FROM command
Quote:A WORKAROUND, NOT an actual FIX:

See this post: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-385...#pid264948
i don't get it..this post offers a changed php.php mail handler version.. which does -OF COURSE- not work with my SMTP handling problem :ß

so how do i get the SMTP handler to work properly ? i had sent mass mails with smtp and phpbb before, so it can't be THAT much of a problem ?!