MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I downloaded the latest release of MyBB as I present use MyBB 1.4.2

Having read the upgrade instructions, I find it quite shocking that I need to upload all the files in the Upload folder. This basically means that:

1. My custom theme would be overwritten
2. My custom plugins would be overwritten

I could take a back up of this, but it would seem like starting work all over again.

Is there some other way to upgrade? In my opinion, a word press like upgrade would be more ideal, where I can just upload a certain folder and it does the trick without affecting any of the plugins.

Please help.

ForexAffiliates Review
not sure if you will have any real problems with your templates ... as per this post http://community.mybboard.net/thread-410...#pid276264

i could be wrong of course so perhaps someone with more knowledge can answer for certain
Your themes and plugins would not be overwritten, as they are additional files - they're not included in the download package. (the only exception here is in the images directory, however you can skip over that for this upgrade - nothing changed there).

Alternatively, however, you could first upgrade to 1.4.3, then to 1.4.4, using the changed file packages provided in each announcement thread.
If your using MyBB 1.4.2 and you don't want to use the upgrade script then I suggest you use the following patches.
Patch #1 - This is important, and it will upgrade you to 1.4.3.
Patch #2 - This is also important, and will upgrade you from 1.4.3 to 1.4.4.

Using those should upgrade you to MyBB 1.4.4.
I find patching to be a very easy and effective way to upgrade with out having to use the upgrade script.
(2008-11-28, 04:06 PM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]If your using MyBB 1.4.2 and you don't want to use the upgrade script then I suggest you use the following patches.

I find patching to be a very easy and effective way to upgrade with out having to use the upgrade script.

Using the patches aren't upgrading your forum - you're simply protecting yourself from the security vulnerabilities. For maintenance releases (that are also security updates), using the patch only secures yourself from the vulnerability - it doesn't fix any of the bugs.
(2008-11-28, 04:11 PM)Justin S. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-11-28, 04:06 PM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]If your using MyBB 1.4.2 and you don't want to use the upgrade script then I suggest you use the following patches.

Using the patches aren't upgrading your forum - you're simply protecting yourself from the security vulnerabilities. For maintenance releases (that are also security updates), using the patch only secures yourself from the vulnerability - it doesn't fix any of the bugs.

^That would explain a few things....Well anyways..I am sure that if your theme can work for MyBB 1.4.2, it can work for MyBB 1.4.4. They are all under the 1.4 series, so I doubt there's going to be a huge template/CSS change. Toungue Then again I could be wrong. (Never made my own forum software), but still....Your custom theme should work, so I wouldn't be to worried if I were you.
I'd advice you to read this first:

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-41101.html
(2008-11-28, 03:53 PM)forexaffiliate Wrote: [ -> ]1. My custom theme would be overwritten
2. My custom plugins would be overwritten

Not really. Either you can run through the full upgrade procedure or you can:
1) View the 1.4.3 announcement and apply the changed file package
2) View the 1.4.4 announcement and apply the changed file package

Then that should bring you up to the latest.