MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How does mybb..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It clearly says mybb 1.4.2 and above doesn't it?
Users of MyBB can change the copyright in the templates. However, all original copyrights must be intact when redistributing modified or original copies of MyBB.

We will be posting a GPL FAQ soon.
I thought the GPL was just for mybb 1.4.2 and above? or have I read it wrong?
the GPL applies to the whole project, whether its from the first release to the last, it will be the same for all distributions from the same project.
(2008-12-04, 05:48 PM)Craigw Wrote: [ -> ]the GPL applies to the whole project, whether its from the first release to the last, it will be the same for all distributions from the same project.

Actually this only applies for the 1.4 series. If you download a version other than any 1.4.x then its the EULA license.
(2008-12-04, 05:48 PM)Craigw Wrote: [ -> ]the GPL applies to the whole project, whether its from the first release to the last, it will be the same for all distributions from the same project.

From the announcement:

Quote:MyBB 1.4.2 and onwards will be licensed under the GNU GPL v3. Older releases of MyBB (1.4.1, 1.4, 1.2, 1.0 etc) are still licensed under our proprietary license agreement and still subject to the terms and conditions set forward in that agreement.

So, unless this has been changed.....
hmm, so the mybb project isnt licenced under the gpl, only its versions?

from my understanding once a project uses a GPL licence, it then applies to the whole scope of the project, and the licence can never be changed.
No. What it means is, the version that was released under the GPL license is released under the GPL license including newer versions. Example:

1.4.2+ GPL License.

1.4.1 and lower: Proprietary license.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
No, licenses only apply to releases. None of the software development process is a license. And yes above poster was correct, GPL only applies to MyBB 1.4.2 and above. Older versions are still under the previous license.
Pages: 1 2