MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google & Other Search Engines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you can see in my results, there is something wrong. It shouldn't say, "hello guest" in the description! Dodgy

Also, when my meta tags do kick in (which I dearly hope they do), how will I make it the first result for my search. Not on google, but on my search for my sight?

Thanks,
Ruben
If you've set your META tags right, then it shouldn't be too long before Google updates its information. You can use a robots file and meta tags to tell Google when to revisit your site.

For other users, it all boils down to pagerank. You can't really improve this, but the general rule is that the better the site is that is linking to yours, the higher your pagerank gets.

If you're not logged in to Google, then you can't effect your own results. If you are logged in, Google have recently added a cool function (like a search-wiki); just click on the up-arrow icon and you can move results around on the result pages...
<meta name="Flight Simulator X Forums" content="Flight Simulator X Forums is a great place to share your knowledge, and get your questions answered. Were free, fun, informative, and most of all reliable. Come join the growing community of what flight simulator x is all about "> 
<meta name="FSX" content="flight,simulator,fsx,fs2004,fs2002,fun,free,informative,forum,forums,board,boards,best,friendly,real,aviation,virtual,flying,airline,vatsim,ivao"> 

Does that look right?

Also, on yahoo I'm first page, they got the beginning of the meta tags, but the end is all weird. I'm fsxforum.co.cc

Thanks,
Ruben
No the meta names should be 'description' and 'keywords', not 'Flight Simulator X Forums' and 'FSX'. For example this is mine:

<meta name="description" content="The forum for MyBB tutorials on everything from installing and upgrading, to installing and uploading plugins and themes."> 
<meta name="keywords" content="learn,MyBB,MyBulletinBoard,tutorial,install,installation,installing,upgrade,upgrading,merge,plugins,themes,php,css,script,templates,HTML,configuration,forums,posts,users,groups,tools,maintenance,support,information,FAQ,help">

Note the <meta name="description" and <meta name="keywords".
No, they're not right. But it's important to remember that keywords are not a magic solution!

<meta name="description" content="Flight Simulator X Forums is a great place to share your knowledge, and get your questions answered. Were free, fun, informative, and most of all reliable. Come join the growing community of what flight simulator x is all about "> 
<meta name="keywords" content="flight,simulator,fsx,fs2004,fs2002,fun,free,informative,forum,forums,board,board​s,best,friendly,real,aviation,virtual,flying,airline,vatsim,ivao">

Also, keep the description to less than 250 characters - maybe this is why Yahoo isn't seeing it right?...
<meta name="keywords" content="Flight Simulator X Forums is a great place to share your knowledge, and get your questions answered. Were free, fun, informative, and most of all reliable. Come join the growing community of what flight simulator x is all about "> 
<meta name="FSX" content="flight,simulator,fsx,fs2004,fs2002,fun,free,informative,forum,forums,board,boards,best,friendly,real,aviation,virtual,flying,airline,vatsim,ivao"> 

Look ok now?
No - it's still not ok. Just copy and paste this:

<meta name="description" content="Flight Simulator X Forums is a great place to share your knowledge, and get your questions answered. Were free, fun, informative, and most of all reliable. Come join the growing community of what flight simulator x is all about "> 
<meta name="keywords" content="flight,simulator,fsx,fs2004,fs2002,fun,free,informative,forum, forums,board,board​​s,best,friendly,real,aviation,virtual,flying,airline,vatsim,ivao">

Notice the "name" is not FSX, the name has to be the name of the META command you're wanting to use... it's description and keywords...
In header include. Thanks man.