MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Re-installing forums, keep users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mybbforum has been giving me and my site so many problems. I think the files have somehow gotten accidentally edited, so I want to re-install the whole forum, and start the database over from scratch. However, I want to keep ALL accounts. Would this be possible to get rid of everything, start over fresh, and still keep accounts?
I'm no expert on this matter, but I think that by copying "member.php" and "memberlist.php" onto your new database would work... wait from confirmation / denial of this theory from the MyBB Staff first though.
That's the problem. I didn't know if you copyed that, or a table in the database.
Yes it is possible. However, before I give you instructions how to, what version of MyBB are you running?
(2008-12-01, 04:24 AM)Faint Brushfire Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no expert on this matter, but I think that by copying "member.php" and "memberlist.php" onto your new database would work... wait from confirmation / denial of this theory from the MyBB Staff first though.

Users aren't stored in files, they're in the database. Copying the file will save you nothing.

Why not try to just upload all fresh files from whatever version you're on?? You won't lose any data, as long as you make sure not to overwrite ./inc/config.php and ./inc.settings.php

Then we can see if the files are bad, or if it's the database.
Well I'm almost 100% sure its the database. I'm almost 100% sure the problems are the from the database tables. So I just want to somehow save all users, but delete the entire database and start over.

Running 1.4.2
Well yiou could just save the users table but I'm unsure as to what else might not wirk so do so at your own risk... it shouldn't cause any problems if it's just users though. But still try fresh files as then at least we'll know for sure if it is the database or not.
First try replacing all the files but the settings.php file and the config.php file with new files from the 1.4.2 series. You can download it here:
http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Versi...rsion_List

See if it works or not. If not, make a backup of the users table in your database, then create a new database, run the MyBB 1.4.2 (do not use any other versions) installer, once you're done installing it, drop the table prfx_users and insert yours. If you plan on upgrading to a later version of MyBB, do so after the process to make sure no database changes have been in effect to the users table through the newer versions.
Best Regards.
(2008-12-02, 04:13 PM)rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]First try replacing all the files but the settings.php file and the config.php file with new files from the 1.4.2 series. You can download it here:
http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Versi...rsion_List

See if it works or not. If not, make a backup of the users table in your database, then create a new database, run the MyBB 1.4.2 (do not use any other versions) installer, once you're done installing it, drop the table prfx_users and insert yours. If you plan on upgrading to a later version of MyBB, do so after the process to make sure no database changes have been in effect to the users table through the newer versions.
Best Regards.

Thank you, this work perfectly.
Glad it worked. Big Grin