MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass Email stays Queued-none get sent!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried alerting all members to this and other changes taking place on the forum to keep them posted, but despite multiple attempts it stays queued and none go out, and when I returned today it showed it as ran yesterday but status was still "queued" and I checked all logs, no errors, checked with server host for confirmation of smtp settings (not familiar with PHP mail) and still no messages, but when new member registers we get the mail, when contact or internal email system message is sent I get it, but no mass mails go out.
When using 1.2.12 it worked but stopped after the upgrade to 1.4.4
Does anyone have an explanation for this or setting I missed?

Thanks

TSG!

Site url http://custodialgrandparents.com
How active is your forum?
What would that affect? If you are considering limitations based on traffic, or bandwidth being used, I barely use 15% at peak times with only 83 members, it is a Niche' target and growing, but slowly, once I work these bugs out I expect to start attracting more registrations through networking and other sources, point is it couldn't be impeding the mails from going out, partially because the board was closed for two days due to the problems, and considering the audience, which is WHY getting this message out to the all is so important, could provide SOME insight as to possibilities in the form of a list maybe rather than asking just one question?
I don't mean to sound rude, and I am not being so, you just can't hear my tone of voice in the manner in which I write.
I would appreciate some supporting information to resolve this if you can think of something that might either identify WHY they are not going out, or possible settings to look for or to try changing, that I might have overlooked or couldn't find!

Thank you for the response, hopefully someone will have an experience to share, even if it doesn't directly provide an answer, it might inspire one from someone else!

TSG!
Answer Ryan Gordon's question properly.

How active is your forum? How many users do you get online a day, how many posts, etc.

I *think* it has something to do with page views. Each time a page is viewed, tasks are run if needed. So if people don't visit, the tasks don't necessarily get done. I could be wrong though. Smile
Oh I see, it is the reverse from what I might have been thinking, my impression was he was gong towards not having enough resources to follow through with the task due to too much activity, but I did answer his question....
The Smoking Gun! Wrote:If you are considering limitations based on traffic, or bandwidth being used, I barely use 15% at peak times with only 83 members
I'm pretty sure that answers it, and to elaborate, I have had NO activity for the three days two it was closed and the one (yesterday) since re-opening. then of course I ight get any number of unregistered visitors to the tune of maybe 20-30 a day? that's just a presumption since these are not in the logs, from what I can see, since it has grown so slowly, I really haven't gotten too deeply in to the stats until this past month when I got a flurry of newer members register!

But aside from server load, or bandwidth limitations, I see why anything else would impede the mail from going out when it was during a quiet time and set to be delivered immediately, and my host Admin at HG even is checking to see if something on their end is the problem, however if this were the case I would presume the system would attempt to send them and result with an error, but not just hold them queued!

I tried again yesterday and today it shows both messages subjects as delivery date of yesterday, but status is still queued!

Sorry if my original response wasn't clear enough to gather that from, and again I read how it sounds to be said, but i will reiterate that I am calm and puzzled by this, and not writing with an attitude, but often it looks this way, when it isn't my intention.!

Thanks for looking in to this further, if I get any responses from my host I will add them here, I need to set up an account for them to get in to admin cp to assess if my settings match my server's mail settings,

Please continue investigating other options that could result in such a response or lack there of, I DO appreciate your time and attention in this and all matters I bring up here!

Let me know if i need to create a user for you with appropriate permissions should that be more helpful!

TSG!
(2008-12-02, 05:10 PM)The Smoking Gun! Wrote: [ -> ]to elaborate, I have had NO activity for the three days

Then that's why the task hasn't run, nothing to trigger it.
Here's a quick example of how the Task System is designed

Ryan Gordon Wrote:The Task System, unless setup on a cron job, can only run when a user visits the front-end of your forum. In addition, other tasks might have priority and it will take a continual flow of visitors if your tasks are to run always on time.

To get around these limitations you can run tasks via a cron job.

Ryan Gordon Wrote:If you are running the task via a Cron Job:
  • In the program you use to setup a cron job set it up with the times you want and set the path to: php the/file/system/path/to/task.php x where x is the Task ID you want to run.
  • Make sure it is disabled in the ACP. Enabling it via the Task interface in the Admin CP Only tells MyBB to execute it via it's own scheduling system. Therefore this would cause overlap. The task, if called from a cron job, will run regardless of the status of it in the ACP as this only applies to MyBB's own systems.

You can also test the cron job by using PHP's CLI interface via the same way you set it up for the cron job (e.x. "php the/file/system/path/to/task.php x")

Ryan

The last alternative is to manually execute the Mass Mail task via your ACP Task System page.
Thanks Ryan,
But I did exactly as you instructed here, and no luck, then had HostGator check to see if something on their end was preventing it from running and he said all is well, and even removed my chron set and reset it and still they will not go!
Here is my cron command..../public_html/forum/task.php tid=9

Any other ideas?!
TSG!
I doubt that file system path is correct. Make sure that you have the complete file system path.
Well TBH I left off the prefixes for security reasons, and after having my HG Admin, who set up the cron command (not having done so myself before) for me, I was confident it was set right, however those emails never went despite the "every 15 minutes" setting, so after my changing to "report to" address to my own, instead of the server default, I found I was getting MAILER-DAEMON errors on the incoming alerts that the cron could not process tasks.
So once again I engaged a HG Admin, who noticed that there was one extra / and fixed that but still no mail, then he went in to the task manager......and this part is for all......Went to mass email, and click "run this task now" and everything went.

So this seems to no longer be an issue, and I do not yet know if I still need the cron running for this to work, and I did tell him that the task manager should have been disabled according to the developer, but he went and tried anyway, and got results, which ultimately is all that matters.

So bottom line....if your mass mail does not run as scheduled when set to deliver immediately, because you do not have enough activity to trigger it, you can go to task manager, and click on the button that says on mouse_over "run this task now" this works when using PHP mail settings!

Thank you Ryan for all the help!

TSG!
Pages: 1 2