MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Avatars not able to upload.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
On my forums (http://teenvelocity.com) when users go to upload avatars with a fine filesize and dimensions, they get an Invalid URL error, I have tested this with a file straight from my computer, and a URL from photobucket/imageshack and I get the same error each time. How do I fix this? Yes, On all usergroups in their permissions they CAN upload avatars.
Is the Avatar Directory at CHMOD 777? If not, then that is your problem.

You will have to go through your FTP, and set the CHMOD to 777. Unless you do what is explained, forum usergroup permissions won't mean a thing.

Go into whatever FTP client you use, load your site, and highlight the Uploads directory, and set the attributes to 777. then go inside of it, and highlight the Avatars directory, and set that to 777. you'll be good to go.

You'll also be able to know if your Upload & Avatar Directory is writable to allow it. Go into the ACP, and go to Tools & Maintenance. And just scroll down, until you see what is in this pic.

[Image: 2aepffb.jpg]

If the two listed directories that I was talking about, isn't set properly on your end, then do as stated above. Also, make sure that your Avatar settings are set right, for your forum.
They are set right and its writable, users are still getting the invalid URL message when trying to upload their own avatars.
What's the URL of the image??
Hi all, ive got the same problem, even though all the above checks are fine, just wont let me upload any avatar from my pc, my chmod is set to 777 for upload/avatars and is also writable. Ive only just done a new instal so im not knowlegable about the board yet, but it seems as if it should work, but doesnt. The avatars do work from the inbuilt gallery and if i also add avatars into the folder for the gallery they show up in posts. Its just this uploading thats an issue

Regards

Tyke
And what is the file type you're trying to upload?? Are the dimensions ok for the settings?? Is the size in kb too big for your settings??
yes everything is well under limitations, ive got the size set for 100x100px with a file size of 300kb for testing this problem, ive tried gif,jpeg,png all well under dimensions and file size, still no joy though.this is the Avatar upload path

./uploads/avatars (all set at 777 with green results telling me it is writable)

Im actually getting this error

Please correct the following errors before continuing:

* The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again.

this is what i get if i try gif or any image file. Seems to be about the type of file more than the size . Is there somewhere that you have to put in what type of files you will allow for upload of avatars?

Ive just tried to add an attachment too to one of my posts and that doesn't work either.Theres no error message and the uploads folder is 777. Its just a simple small gif image. ive tried others too with same results. I wonder if this is a related problem to the avatars not uploading either

Im running the latest version of mybb.

Regards

Tyke
Anybody any idea's over this problem

Regards

Tyke
Make sure the attachments you are trying to upload have acceptable extensions in ACP -> Attachment Types
(2008-12-07, 07:37 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure the attachments you are trying to upload have acceptable extensions in ACP -> Attachment Types

yes all that is fine, ive checked and all the accepted .gif .jpg etc etc are included. Still no joy though Huh

regards

tyke
Pages: 1 2