MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help: 500 internal server error after upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've just upgraded to version 1.4.4. I copied old the file excepted "inc/setting.php" to my directory. Then, I tried to run the script www.myforum.com/install/upgrade.php, but the script does not launch, and I get an error (500 Internal Server Error) and cannot access to my forum anymore...

What to do ? Sad

Edit: I am afraid I copied the whole 1.4.4 package and not only the necessary files (explanation was not clear)... and, worse, I did not save the database... How can I restore my forum?
Technically, the database should still be there, as deleting the files doesn't mean the database is gone... check in phpMyAdmin or your cPanel (or the likes) to see if it is still there.

If it isn't, you'll need to reinstall and start from new I'm afraid, as there is no backup.

If it is there, you just need to change the ./inc/config.php file with the database information. Upload all the 1.4.4 files and edit the file, then you should be able to go to the upgrade page.

If the 500 error persists, common issues are normally htaccess (delete .htaccess - do not delete htaccess.txt) or mod_security ([Wiki: Help:Mod_security] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead).
(2008-12-03, 08:48 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, the database should still be there, as deleting the files doesn't mean the database is gone... check in phpMyAdmin or your cPanel (or the likes) to see if it is still there.
I know how to reach phpMyAdmin, and the database seems to be here and ok (but how to be sure ? I exported it for safety, but the export file size is not very big).
Well if there's tables in the database and the tables have data in them, you're fine.
OK, so then just upload MyBB as normal (the full package), and update the ./inc/config.php file to your database info.

You might need to change a few things, such as the ./inc/settings.php, but essentially it should work.
(2008-12-03, 09:19 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]Well if there's tables in the database and the tables have data in them, you're fine.
Ok, there are tables with data.

(2008-12-03, 09:19 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]OK, so then just upload MyBB as normal (the full package), and update the ./inc/config.php file to your database info.
But that's exactly what I've done to upgrade, I uploaded the full package, and do not touch ./inc/config.php. I now it is not working...
This seems to be being discussed in 2 threads... can we try and keep it to this one??

Are you using your default htaccess file that came with MyBB??
(2008-12-03, 09:27 AM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]This seems to be being discussed in 2 threads... can we try and keep it to this one??
Yes, sorry for that!

Quote:Are you using your default htaccess file that came with MyBB??
I never touched this file, and I do not see it anymore... where should it be?
rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess and see if that does anything.
Strange, from time to time server error 500 is coming back for a while, and then everything is ok again... I am sure it is not coming from the server (because I have another site installed on it), but from the forum files (CHMOD or other kind of error)

(2008-12-05, 08:06 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess and see if that does anything.
I have a .htaccess and htaccess.txt at the root of the server (what should be their CHMOD?)
And in the folder of the forum (public_html/myforum/), there is htaccess.txt file.
Is it normal?
Pages: 1 2