MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How can i reinstall XP without loosing Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok, my main computer is an acer laptop and about 6 months ago XP had some issues so i just uninstalled it and moved exclusively to Linux mint which i was dual booting before. Now unfortunatley i need to reinstall XP so i can use some software and so i can use my nextg card but i only have factory recovery disks that will restore it to it's original state ad wipe my Mint partition.

Is there any way around this so i can reinstall XP without loosing everything on mint? I know i can run the restore then reinstall mint but setting everything up again will be a pain.
If you have a normal XP installation CD then you should be able to only format the XP partition and reinstall to that partition. Smile
It would work if you have the OS on another harddrive other than Linux. If it's on the same harddrive it would overwrite the boot sequence and would only boot up Windows XP.
Well, with the CD that came with my computer the only way I could reinstall Windows was to overwrite the entire hard drive..
I cant install XP using another disk but using my serial numbers and stuff can i?

I can get a copy of XP i suppose Sad
Ya, even with the installation disk though you will still have to resetup grub to be able boot into Mint. That's probably going to be the hardest part Toungue.
you can get a live CD (knoppix?) and fix the grub by reinstalling it into the MBR.
Is there a tool to backup or create an image or something of your Linux installation that i could save to my external hard drive, then use the recovery CD's then reinstall Mint.
Can't recommend an application (only have heard of Ghost) but search up HDD cloning tools.
Virtualbox or VMWare to get Windows inside Linux.
Pages: 1 2