MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bordeaux for Linux, anyone used it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking at that thread on react os and saw on their site a link to the Bordeaux site so i had a look around and saw for 20 bucks their software enabled you to run software such as office 2007 on your linux machine.

I am pretty impressed with Wine but there are still a few programs that either wont run or wont run as well as on windows which i need so i am considering re installing windows but if i can get them all to work for only $20 then thats probably a far better option.

It also says there "improved cellular support" do you think this means i might be able to get my HSDPA wireless internet card to work? Because thats probably one of my biggest requirements.

Have a look here for more info http://www.bordeauxgroup.com/project/bordeaux-linux

So has anyone used it? is it worth the $20 and is it as good as it sounds?
It has the wine symbol, so maybe its forked from WINE?
Then again, some new paid linux distos are using WINE a lot more, so IDK....Maybe it's not worth it? I'd get a customer review or two first.
Eh, can't you just run a virtual Windows machine from Linux?
Yeah but i only have an Acer recovery CD to install XP from Sad
(2008-12-04, 11:09 AM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah but i only have an Acer recovery CD to install XP from Sad
I still don't see why you can't install an OEM on a virtual machine... Just dump the CD as an ISO, and mount the ISO as a CD drive on your virtual machine, then just boot from that...
Or if your virtual machine software supports direct CD reads, you can use that instead (but dumping an ISO is probably faster).
But when you run the acer recovery thing it partitions the hard drive into it's default state. Will the virtual machine work around that?
(2008-12-04, 10:32 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]But when you run the acer recovery thing it partitions the hard drive into it's default state. Will the virtual machine work around that?
The virtual machine just presents a virtual HDD to the system it's virtualising. Therefore, you're free to partition/format it any way you like.
Yeah, just set up VirtualBox (which is free, and a tiny download) and install Windows in it- the recovery disc should work. Then install Virtualbox Guest Additions (when in Windows, go to "Devices->Install Guest Additions from the VB menu) and then when VBGA is installed, you should just be able to press Ctrl+L to enter "seamless mode".

Since I use Vista as a main operating system, I run Ubuntu from that, or XP - depending on my mood.

Seamless mode adds a windows taskbar to your Linux, and applications are run from within that.