MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bot Registration Prevention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More of a suggestion than a request. I found this plugin for vB and thought it would be great for MyBB as well if anyone is interested in developing it.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183917

I might even take a shot at it myself if I have time. I would think that measuring the time it takes to fill out the registration form is even easier than the vB plugin makes it out to be. Set the unix timestamp as a session variable when the user first accesses the page Then, check the timestamp on submission. If the difference between the two timestamps is less than a certain amount (say, 10 seconds), deny registration.
I don't think bots have cracked our captcha yet, the spam that you might see for a short time on these forums are human operated.
Even so, more protection couldn't hurt. With this plugin, bots would still have a hard time registering even if they break the captcha.
Still very easy to bypass. If I were a bot writer, all I'd have to do is implement a simple queue, and do a round-robin approach to signups (if I wanted it to batch signup on your forum, or a number of them). I suspect various advanced bots already do that anyway.