MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: index.php and chmod to 444 advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I got some rather strange advice from someone who said that I would be wise to chmod the index.php file to 444. What are your opinions on this?

Regards,

Martin
Did they give a reason?? CHMODing index.php to 444 won't do any harm but really isn't needed. I guess they're saying it so that the file can't be written to... but realistically that probably won't happen. The only thing that some people recommend is CHMODd to 444 is ./inc/config.php after installation so the details can't be changed in any way.
The only reason wqas that it would make the board more secure.

Chmodding inc/config.php to 444? Wouldn't this cause problems with the admin area and the changes one might want to put through there? Or for that matter problems with the front-end?

Regards,

Martin
./inc/config.php is only edited by MyBB when the board is installed, after that, any changes you want to make, you do yourself by editing the file. If it's 444 it can be read and that's all that it needs, to be read.
Whe one updates the board does the inc/config.php need to be chmodded back? And to what?

Regards,

Martin
Nope, it's never written to by anything once the installation is run. All that is ever automatically written to it is the database details that you give in the installation process, after that, nothing.
Okay thank youSmile.

Still a bit strange that someone 'out of the blue' starts saying that I would be wise to chmod the index.php to 444.

Martin
Well, as I edited into my first post (which I don't think you saw as I edited it a bit late) I can see their point, if it's 444 nothing can be written to it, but the chances of anyone attempting and succeeding to write anything to it are pretty low.
As always thank you Matt for the help. It's highly appreciated!

Regards,

Martin