MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Directory Listing Denied
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All, I am trying to install MyBB on my website and ran into some issues. After I FTP the files to my web I went to the install directory as suggested in the installation instructions. I get the following error:

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

My site: http://wircs.whidbeyhost.com/MyBB/install/

My site is hosted on a windows server, also step 3 in the installation says:

3. CHMOD the following files to 666 (ie, make sure that PHP can write to them).

./inc/settings.php
./uploads
./uploads/avatars
./cache
./cache/themes

How do I do this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You'll need to contact your hsot about that permissions error, nothing to do with MyBB.

As for the CHMODs, you should have a setting for permissions or CHMOD - ./inc/settings.php has to be 666, the rest in the lsit you gave need to be 777.
Thanks for the quick reply Matt, I will contact the host about that. As for the CHMOD, I understand what I need to do, but how do I do it? Through Front Page and then FTP to the server? When I pull up ./inc/settings.php in front page I can't find it. I have plenty of MS Access knowledge and some html, but I have never set up a forum like this before. Thanks again
No you don't edit the file, you give the server permission to write to it... you just change the permissions settings in the directory listing. Something like this:

[Image: changepermissionsoptions.png]

Don't see what MS Access has to do with it in any way.
Ok, got it. Since my server is hosted I tink I will have to go through them to change permissions. Thanks Matt
What do you mean 'go through them'??
Sorry for all the confusion, like I said before, never tried to set up an sql db or forum before. Well I gave the hosting company a call and they said I can change the permissions but the lady did not know how, she said I need to get in contact with their webmaster. All he sent me in email upon account setup was a web based control panel to access the DB. I didn't see anywhere to change permissions in that control panel, but according to lady I spoke with she said there is another way to access the DB but she could not remember. so it looks like I am stuck until I can talk to the host web master.
No the file permissions aren't done in the database. You just go to the list of files on your server, and there'll be an option to change it, like in the image I posted above. If you want, PM me the details of your control panel and I'll do it for you.
The control panel only deals with the db as far as I know. I access the files on the server through MS Front Page. I sent a PM with a screen shot of the CP
First off I will say Unless you are using .NET-based web software winodws will only bring you trouble..

Secondly; Permission changes are not done via the database; it is a file-level thing (Actually editing the FILE permissions) - Get a real FTP client; not Microsoft FrontPage Confused
Pages: 1 2