MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Major login issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi,

I installed mybb latest version and it was working fine. After few days i decided to configure it and when i tried to login it logged me in fine.

As soon as i clicked on another link in admin (to configure), it took me to login page. I logged in again and then it brought me to that page, then if i again perform any action it will again take me to the login page and thus i have to keep on logging in n every page refresh.

I am not able to import theme becuase as soon as i press the import button it takes me to login page then back on import page !

What is going on ?

URL to your forum: forums.avissoftware.com
New installation or upgrade (from which version of MyBB)? : New

Thanks.
http://community.mybboard.net/search.php

It's a cookie settings problem. If you search, you'll usually find an answer to your problem; you would have found an answer if you had searched for this problem.

Open ./inc/settings.php, change your cookie domain to .forums.avissoftware.com and your cookie path to /

Then go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and do it again.
I am having the same problem. I try to login, it says that the login is successful, but still i'm a guest on the forum

I have tried doing what matt said, but the problem is still there.

URL to your forum: http://74.53.235.2/~bombbob/forum1/Upload/index.php
New installation or upgrade (from which version of MyBB)? : New

Can you suggest what I should do? This cookie problem is only effecting a few users, not all of them.
Because you have paths in the cookie domain.

Open ./inc/settings.php, change the cookie domain to .74.53.235.2 and the cookie path to /~bombbob/forum1/Upload/

Then go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and do it again.

It's also recommended you don't keep your forum in the 'Upload' folder, too.
(2008-12-10, 05:48 PM)Matt_ Wrote: [ -> ]It's also recommended you don't keep your forum in the 'Upload' folder, too.

Why would this be?
To be honest I don't know, but I know there's a message when you run the installer and the files are in /Upload/. Give me a minute and I'll be able to tell you what that message is.
Ok. And thanks for the help, my cookies problem is sorted now.
Hi,

If this is a known thing then why its not being fixed in the installer ? I mean how i supposed to know that a newly installed forum would cause issues like this even when I have followed the every step carefully.

Instead of asking us to search, you should be fixing the issue or put some instructions in install doc or at the end of install to make sure that this has been done.

I hope instead of saying that "hey! I offer free forum script you should not tell me what to do and what not to do!", you should fix it!

Your reply sounded like to me that I made a mistake posting this post in the forum and asking this question. I am shifting from fluxbb and I thought maybe its time again to use MyBB..maybe or maybe not...

Thanks for your help though the board is working back.
The installer can't get the cookie settings right 100% of the time. 99.9% of the time it does, but the other 0.01% of the time, it can't. So it's not a bug, it's not a real problem, it's not anything can be fixed. I must have installed about 50 forums for various people, including test forums for myself, and apart from on my localhost, the settings have always been correct in the installer. I guess you were unlucky enough to be in the 0.01% of people where the installer was wrong. If the sub-domain was in place upon installation, it might have been that that messed it up, and if it was added after, you should have updated the settings to reflect it.

As for searching, if you had done a search for logging in issues you would have found cookie settings to be the cause, and could have probably fixed it yourself - that's why we say to search, usually you can find an answer for yourself much quicker.
I have tried the new settings, and at first i thought it worked. But it is just my original problem. Login works for me, but not other people.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5