MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS syndication
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was thinking RSS syndication of certain forums or of new posts would be a good feature. If RSS syndication was enabled then the anouncements forum could be read by the admin sections of all the forums on peoples sites. So when theres a security hole or a service pack people would know about it if they didnt visit the site. Also the new posts feed would be useful for people that like to use RSS readers to know if there are any new posts to their favorite forums. I know, I do it for a few forums.
Why would others need to see it?

As an administrator you are more than likely to look in the ACP every day.

But nice suggestions, both of you. Smile
With the RSS syndication, how do you want it to work?

Latest threads or latest posts?

Subjects only, or include messages?

Specify a fid on the end of the url, and if none feed from all forums?

RSS? RSS 2.0? Atom? or All?

(Note that only publically viewable forums will be able to be syndicated ie.. guest forums).
Hmm, 10-20 latest posts would be great, just like on the Portal page but with posts, not threads.

Include the subject (which will be the link, link will be to lastpost), and a bit of the message, like 5-6 words eg: Welcome to this new and improved.............

Also, perhaps Latest new drawn from the annoucements forum??

So eventually you end up with something like:
Quote:Latest News:
- New feature
- Forums upgraded to RC3

Latest Posts:
-Help please
I am having a probelm with.............
-Welcome
Welcome to this new and improved.............
Quote:RSS? RSS 2.0? Atom? or All?
Not sure what one is the best here, so im gonna say all Smile

Quote:(Note that only publically viewable forums will be able to be syndicated ie.. guest forums).
Or maybe an option in Admin CP to allow the required info to be drawn from the forum, but when someone clicks a link, they will be required to log in?? Just a thought.

k776
I was thinkin threads and a little excerpt from the content of it. As for what type of RSS, why not all?
I agree. I think threads would be better.

I don't know too much about RSS though, so I don't know which type I would prefer. Toungue
Why not let each admin decide how much to syndicate? Smile

Syndicate:
|-Threads
| |- Subjects [  ]
| |- Message [  ]
|   |- How many characters to display? [    ]
|- Posts
| |- Subjects [  ]
| |- Only the latest [   ] posts
| |- Include message text [   ]
|  |- How many characters? [   ]
|- Only these Forums
 |- [Select a forum..]

The more options the merrier!
Good idea Todd. I like his idea better. Toungue
I like the idea of RSS.

It'd be much easier than to modify our main website code to syndicate latest threads from the database.
Pages: 1 2