MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database error on installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have been trying to get this installation done on my development server that is Redhat. The issue I am experiencing is after I have inserted the all DB info I got only an error as below.

Error
There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

I have read requirements and pretty sure I have required server specs. My server is running PHP 4.4.9 and MySQL 4.0.x. MyBB version I am installing is 1.4.4. Is that source of problem? One more thing, MySQL server is located on the same server and I have full access both web and database server. Please give me a hand to figure out this issue.

Thanks
Si Thu
The server host name is just incorrect, 'localhost' isn't correct for you.
Ask your host what to put here.
With the mySQL on the same server, localhost should be OK for the hostname. Are you sure that the user details you gave were correct, and that this user had permissions that allowed it to access/write to the database?

Also, make sure the database actually exists first. Create a blank one, if you haven't already done so...
Thanks for your replies. In fact, I have full access(root) for both servers. I have tested many times creating new users and granted all priviliges. Also have tried with blank database. If I create a new blank DB, the reult is just a blank page after the page of database configuration. Please let me know if there is any others setting I have to set.
Quote:If I create a new blank DB, the reult is just a blank page after the page of database configuration.

Basically, the database needs to physically exist before data can be put into it. MyBB won't do it for you. So, create a blank database called "mybb". If I remember right, there is a slight problem with mySQL 4.0.x installs. The normal suggestion is to upgrade to mySQL 5. Be sure to enter localhost for your hostname, mybb as the database name and your mySQL username and password for the details.

Although you can try this: in ./install/index.php, try and remove (near the top):

@set_time_limit(0);

This worked for me on a 4.0.x install... apart from that, mySQL 5/mySQL > 4.0 is the probably your only option.