MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [F] Google Chrome Issues [C-Rcpalace]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2008-12-17, 10:53 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about Chrome bugs, haven't seen many so far, as I explained in my last reply, CodePress not working in Chrome is not the fault of Chrome at all. It's because CodePress checks what kind of browser is being used (so the only fix for Chrome would be to lie and claim to be Gecko instead of something else) and ends up loading a zero byte JavaScript file instead of one that actually tries to do anything. It's CodePress being a stupid prat here, blaming Chrome for it is wrong. Chrome actually does a great job for a browser that just left beta stage. Most things work and the things that don't are hacks made specifically for other browsers, such as the CodePress engine selector.

None of that points to making it a Mybb problem.
No, but, there are numerous work arounds for IE, and for other browsers I'd imagine, what makes Chrome different?? If there's a bug with IE, something is done to make it work with IE, even though that is nothing to do with MyBB either. Plus so many websites have a problem with IE, yet IE don't fix it.

If the choice of whether a work around is made is based on how many people the problem would affect, however, that may be a different matter. I mean as a lot of users use IE it may be almost essential to make a work around for a particular problem, whereas as there are not as many Chrome users, it may not be seen as being as important.
(2008-12-17, 11:42 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]No, but, there are numerous work arounds for IE, and for other browsers I'd imagine, what makes Chrome different?? If there's a bug with IE, something is done to make it work with IE, even though that is nothing to do with MyBB either. Plus so many websites have a problem with IE, yet IE don't fix it.

The difference is, some of us web developers are starting to get tired of this repetitive bullshitting process where the bigger guy pisses on the little guy endlessly.

I do think that the button problems should be looked into again because that is one of the more essential parts to MyBB. I would however simply disable Codepress or give it limited functionality if frostschutz is able to develop some support for khtml.

Ryan
I just found out that the smilie selector doesn't work either. This is because Prototype doesn't support Chrome (or vice versa, not sure). As a result Prototype-isms such as $(id).select() fail. I think it's safe to say that MyBB does not support Chrome for now, because third party software employed by MyBB does not support Chrome for now. None of the problems so far could be traced back to MyBB directly, but if that happens I'd be all for fixing it so Chrome can be fully supported once it's fully supported by the third party software.

I'm not too concerned about that in regards to Prototype... it seems to be a widely used piece of software so I guess they'll fix their problems with Chrome soon. Not too sure about CodeMirror though, it's just poor code and the SVN does not look much better.
(2008-12-18, 12:15 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2008-12-17, 11:42 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]No, but, there are numerous work arounds for IE, and for other browsers I'd imagine, what makes Chrome different?? If there's a bug with IE, something is done to make it work with IE, even though that is nothing to do with MyBB either. Plus so many websites have a problem with IE, yet IE don't fix it.

The difference is, some of us web developers are starting to get tired of this repetitive bullshitting process where the bigger guy pisses on the little guy endlessly.

I do think that the button problems should be looked into again because that is one of the more essential parts to MyBB. I would however simply disable Codepress or give it limited functionality if frostschutz is able to develop some support for khtml.

Ryan

Yeah, and I understand that completely, I'd hate to have to put in tons of work arounds for stupid browser bugs. I have just turned off codepress, I have no problem with that at all, but I agree the buttons are more important.
The smiley / Prototype issue is fixed in the latest Chromium (Chrome dev version) build (I guess it's been fixed for longer, I only tried todays build), so I guess it will be fixed in one of the next releases of Chrome as well.

CodePress highlight looks better in Chromium too, but linenumbers are now garbled. Wink
Okay, so there were two issues:
1) The chrome browser detection wasn't working
2) We needed to add another case for chrome to evaluate the javascript coming in from the ajax response

So in general.js find:

else if(navigator.product == "Gecko")
		{
			this.browser = "mozilla";
		}
		else if(this.useragent.indexOf("chrome") != -1)
		{
			this.browser = "chrome";
		}

and replace with

else if(this.useragent.indexOf("chrome") != -1)
		{
			this.browser = "chrome";
		}
		else if(navigator.product == "Gecko")
		{
			this.browser = "mozilla";
		}

Also, in thread.js find:

if(MyBB.browser == "ie" || MyBB.browser == "opera" || MyBB.browser == "safari" || MyBB.browser == "chrome")

and replace with

if(MyBB.browser == "ie" || MyBB.browser == "opera" || MyBB.browser == "safari")

I also updated prototype to 1.6.0.3. Not sure if that made a difference.

Ryan
Thank you for your bug report.

This bug has been fixed in our internal code repository. Please note that the problem will not be fixed here until these forums are updated.

With regards,
MyBB Group
Pages: 1 2 3