MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Vista or XP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
My 8 year old computer finally bit the dust. I think the hard drive went to crap. BSoD's all over it and it wont even let me re-install XP using my recovery disks... Sad

So I have decided to buy a different computer. I just want some advice. I am willing to have more debt and make payments on a newer one with Vista but ive heard vista sucks!?

I also have the option of going to wal-mart, outright buying a $400.00 one and keeping with XP...

Please help a fellow MyBB-attict out!
It all depends on what you use it for. Most PC users will do fine with Vista. It looks beautiful and has it's quirks, but if you're somebody who will just use the software straight out of the box then it'll be fine for you. If you're like me and like to do a lot of tweaking and a lot of backend stuff (if one of the first things you do when you install an operating system is Run secpol.msc) then be wary of which version you use.

I personally like XP for it's performance and size (Vista likes to use up a lot of disk space because it keeps multiple versions of various DLLs, which is good for compatibility but bad if you like to keep your C: to 8GB or so and image it once and a while).

If you do gaming then Vista is a good option due to DX10.

If you're going to have more than 3.5GB of RAM don't forget to get Vista Ultimate since it's 64bit.

Lastly, do you have any other computers on your network? Vista to XP networking is sometimes a pain and usually painfully slow as they have done a complete overhaul of the networking for Vista but decided not to make it backwards compatible to XP. I also had a lot of issues with various WIFI adapters for Vista. (Keep in mind this was all prior to SP1.)

Hope that helps.
Vista Ultimate 64bit works fine for me (4GB RAM! =D), there is also a 32bit of it, so make sure you get the one that's right for you. Smile
Networking works just fine for me, connects to my Linux server, played games with other computers (both XP and Vista) over the LAN.

Windows always has problems. I'm happy with Vista though.
I never has issues with XP. Vista has complaints everywhere. Sounds like your harddrive died...8 years is a long time. Have you considered just buying a new drive? You can get a 80gb pretty cheap. Really this depends on your budget and if you can afford the $500 then get a new machine but XP is still my choice. I bought 2 new puters recently and one was with Vista. After a couple months I had to downgrade because it was so crappy.
rh1no, have you noticed any issues with transfer speeds between XP and Vista? When I transfer 1GB+ files between Vista and XP it usually takes about 50% longer compared to Vista to Vista or XP to XP.

And to add to labrocca's post, Newegg has a deal going on for the holidays... a 1TB Seagate for $99... that's $400 less than a new PC. Wink
Vista can be annoying due to its lack of software and hardware compatibility and in that respect you may want to wait for Windows 7 or stick with XP. But once you use Vista; XP will never satisfy you again!
As said, are you a computer user that.. uses it a lot? Or just a "every once in a while" computer user? I'd go with XP just because it's "old" and doesn't have any bugs.. well.. maybe itsy bitsy ones. Besides, Vista uses a TON of resources and runs a lot of processes.. XP ftw. Smile
I got an XP also on my wireless cable network...
I think Windows 7 shows more promise and that Vista is the new Windows ME edition...anyone remember ME? It was just as much fluff and crap and it was the version between 98 and XP that no one really used. Vista is a failure and MS knows it. They are already pushing for Windows 7 asap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822144122

And that's $37...for 80gb. You probably don't need much more than that. I have a 40gb drive pulled from a relatively new machine sitting next to me. If you pay shipping you can have it. It's a quantum fireball. Should be perfectly fine for your needs. Maybe you can make 100 posts at Webmasterforums.biz in exchange. Smile

Oh and here is a great Dell deal today:
http://smallbusiness.dell.com/r/c/r?2.1....f.IBGEea00

As you can see you can get a Mini Tower for about $400 pretty hooked up. I am sure it's a bette deal that the Walmart crap.
Hmmm... computer hardware for posts... I like your thinking labrocca...

* KuJoe will start to inventory his extra PCs when he gets home. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11