MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moving forum from Servage to HostGator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After pulling my hair out for over a year with Servage, I moved to Hostgator.

Here are the steps I took.

1) FTP all files to Hostgator.
2) Create new database on Hostgator
3) Export and import database
4) Create user to access database
5) Change config.php to:
$config['database']['database'] = 'owner_thepizzacrafters';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'localhost';
$config['database']['username'] = 'owner_admin';
$config['database']['password'] = 'password';

However, I get the following error:
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
SQL Error:
0 -
Query:
[READ] Unable to select database

Any ideas?
Either the database name or username is incorrect.

Why not install the forum from scratch first to set up the correct database details, drop the empty tables, and then upload the backup??
I am worried that if I start from scratch, I will overwrite some hacks and theme mods I put in.

Help me with this. Is the database username and password different from the forum admin username and password? I thought they were. One is to connect and the other to log in, right? Or is the database username stored IN the database?
No the database username is created on the server. Wouldn't be much point in storing it in the database if it's needed to read the database...

If you install a new forum, then drop the tables and import your backup, you'll have everything you had before....
How is that different from creating a blank database and importing the backup?
Because it will set ./inc/config.php up for you properly and you will be able to see if there are errors with the details you are putting in in the installer, see?? Smile
That may end up being the quickest path. I will give it a go. I can always overwrite some files to get the mods.
You won't need to overwrite any files... if you do this, you can keep all your old files and just use the newer config.php that is created.
Well, I recreated the database one more time and then saw where Hostgator separates CREATING a user from ADDING it to the database. So I associated the user on the server with the database. It appears to connect, but I am just getting a blank page. I cleared cookies and it is still blank though it DID recreate the cookies so something is working.

Yeah, I know I could just redo it, but it seems like I am sooooo close.
Wait, where exactly is this blank page you're referring to...?? If it's not in the installer or anything, you'll have to ask hostgator why the user won't get linked to the database.
Pages: 1 2 3 4