MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What linux distro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay all,

I am looking at learning Linux again as i full the plug before as i got so lost Wink any why what would be the best linux server distro to learn on?

I know theirs

ubuntu server, centos, debian, openSUSE. so what one would be the best to learn and would be the best stable distro.
Ubuntu is great for beginners on the desktop. Easy to install, easy to use. They bring the tools to take care of you, and their forums don't expect you to have too much Linux knowledge, i.e. they tend to be very patient with your questions compared to other distros. On the downside that means that Ubuntu abstracts a lot of Linux work away from you, as it's possible to use Ubuntu without doing too much on the command line.

For servers, I prefer Debian. They don't always bring the latest software (not that you'd need or want bleeding edge on a server), they are very concerned about free software and security of software. You are required to have much more know-how though.

On my Desktop, I use Gentoo. It's a good distro if you want to get to the ground of things, as Gentoo takes the open source software idea so far that all software is actually only downloaded as source code and then compiled on your own hardware. It's not suitable for beginners or users who, when installing new software, don't want to have wait for a compile to finish (which can take minutes or hours depending on the size and number of packages).

Use Ubuntu if you want an easy way in, use Debian if you are serious about setting up a server, use Gentoo if you're an enthusiast who wants to look under the hood and see how things really work.

Regarding OpenSUSE, the last SuSE version I used was 7.x something, it killed a SuSE 6.4 when updating to 7.x; I moved on to Debian and then later to LFS and Gentoo. So no experience with what is OpenSuSE today or CentOS.
Ubuntu is well rounded and offers strong support as it's user base grows. That would be my choice for a desktop version of Linux.

Gentoo imho is a superior project as it has a FreeBSD like ports system for maintaining it software but Ubuntu's userbase has surpased them.

I will also say to not discount FreeBSD. It's not imho the best desktop software but it's certainly more functional for server use. And PC-BSD is making great strides in creating a desktop fork.
Is this for server or desktop?

And, how willing are you to really learn the linux way? I mean do you want to learn tons of commands or just makes it as easy of a transition from windows as possible?
(2008-12-24, 02:09 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Is this for server or desktop?

And, how willing are you to really learn the linux way? I mean do you want to learn tons of commands or just makes it as easy of a transition from windows as possible?

Its for a server and i want to learn a good amount of command just so i can manage a server.

would centos be the best to learn as so many people use it for server.
I love Fedora, easy to work with and I got use to it. Remember, if it's going to be a full fledged server, don't install Gnome.
Okay i mite go with centos as theres like 3 people on my msn who use centos5.2

So what would be the best to start of with learning?
I like cent os although I haven't really had much experience with others server wise.
I have used many currently I have 3 servers all running different distros one is running ubuntu as I decided to try it and I got to say very easy to manage. I have a debian that I use for backups while its good for servers I sometimes get errors because of some of the software that is run. For a server I would have to say though use centos I find it the best in terms of a webserver. Its what I use personally and have been nothing but pleased with it.
yea i am going to use centos i got it install on a vm now and just learning how to install apache,php,mysql from source.
Pages: 1 2 3