MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Would it be legal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am making a new theme. But I want to add a more "Common sense would say" kind of flow to it.
I want to make the (tcat area?) Look like a lithium board, or a zeta board style.
But neither are actually open source, or for free download.

So would it be legal?
http://forums.novaboard.net/

Plagurism is the best form of compliment, or so the saying goes (see above). Nova Boards was "inspired" by IP... take it with a pinch of salt I guess...

You can always base your theme off it, but remember not to include the same colours or images or the likes, as more-than-likely they are held within copyright.
(2008-12-24, 10:41 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]You can always base your theme off it, but remember not to include the same colours or images or the likes, as more-than-likely they are held within copyright.

Mm, I mean there's loads of themes that look exactly like vB, right?? But if they were to use vB image, they'd be infringing copyright.
0.o; Aside from NBBS. That makes two IPB "Inspired" forum software.
Still sticking with MyBB though. Toungue

^So, just don't use any images then?
'Cause lithium and ZB don't. And Lithium is not own by the Zathyus networks.
And was made WAY before ZB.

Just wanting to make sure this is legal though.
If you totally rewrite how it's made, and not just copy-paste their coding, then technically it's legal, as you've made it yourself.
(2008-12-24, 11:40 AM)Tom.M Wrote: [ -> ]If you totally rewrite how it's made, and not just copy-paste their coding, then technically it's legal, as you've made it yourself.

What about replacing certain divs with span tags, or using MyBBs ID tags.
Instead of .trows?
As long as your code isn't exactly the same as theirs, then it's fine lol...