MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Maybe do paid hosting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering.
Why not buy a server, like a real one. Not a VPS. Or maybe a VPS, either way a server.
And let people pay a small fee to host their forums and site?
And maybe make em pay extra for certain content?
if you create hosting without buy server you can program yours pc like server with MySQL, Alias, ecc but you must be very expert!
(2008-12-25, 07:11 AM)Clair Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering.
Why not buy a server, like a real one. Not a VPS. Or maybe a VPS, either way a server.
And let people pay a small fee to host their forums and site?
And maybe make em pay extra for certain content?
Because we'd have to manage it?
There's plenty of hosts out there... the webhosting industry is fairly competitive after all.
Yeah I think Chris has enough on his plate as it is, having to manage a server, and deal with possible issues with it and client's problems, it'd probably just take up way too much time.
Its not about buying a server, theres different things you have to look at,

1. Any hidden costs e.g you need a template done, you need a good billing script ($20 a month)

2. You need some people to look after your server to make sure everything is running smoothly.

3. Support - You must be able to provide good support, you don't want to get a bad rating...

4. 1 little mistake in your billing script e.g WHMCS, and your invoices, or clients cPanel will not be set up properly.

5. Do you have the money? Its very expensive to start it up.
Because MyBB is software, not a hosting service. There's a reason other board software don't do this.