MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Optimizing Board's Speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi guys

I just wanted to know what options are recommended to enable or disable to get a little faster board, I just changed mine to another server and I feel the site heavy and slow.

Is enabling GZip convenient? what else?

Regards
Any Ideas...?
GZip will allow your board to run a little quicker - setting your Gzip compression to around 2 or 3 will be good, and you might notice a difference.

The only other option is your theme and plugins. If you have a very-heavy image dependant theme (uses lots of images) then it will take a lot of time. Same for plugins querying the database - it might take time if you have lots of information that a plugin must check.
Post the debug information at the bottom of your forum, for example:

Generated in 0.0389600 seconds (79.75% PHP / 20.25% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 16 / Global Parsing Time: 0.0072420 / Memory Usage: 4.75 MB
PHP version: 5.0.0 / Server Load: 0.04 / GZip Compression: Disabled
Hello Dennis. I am having a BIG problem with slugishness as well. This is my debug info. I would greatly appreciate some advice:

Generated in 6.4774380 seconds (2.06% PHP / 97.94% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 16 / Global Parsing Time: 2.7185919 / Memory Usage: 2.72 MB
PHP version: 4.4.7 / Server Load: / GZip Compression: Enabled

If you care to test the site please go to www.websbest.net/forum a test username would be johnsmith and pw ricorico
Generated in 6.4774380 seconds
Global Parsing Time: 2.7185919

That's slow Undecided What plugins do you have??
(2009-01-19, 04:46 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Generated in 6.4774380 seconds
Global Parsing Time: 2.7185919

That's slow Undecided What plugins do you have??

I didn't think I had any plugins. The only thing I have done to the 'original' install is to change the theme. I tried firefox and seems even slower. HELP !!! nobody will want to use my forum this way. What is the quick way to check for plugins? do you think the theme change is involved in this?
Thank you
Well plugins are thing you specifically upload, they wouldn't be there without you knowing. Site loads really slow for me too... if this where me personally, I'd drop the host an email and just ask them if they have any idea why it's slow, but maybe someone else here can offer a better solution.
(2009-01-19, 04:28 PM)senor_kasper Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Dennis. I am having a BIG problem with slugishness as well. This is my debug info. I would greatly appreciate some advice:

Generated in 6.4774380 seconds (2.06% PHP / 97.94% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 16 / Global Parsing Time: 2.7185919 / Memory Usage: 2.72 MB
PHP version: 4.4.7 / Server Load: / GZip Compression: Enabled

Your MySQL server is causing all the slowness. Is your database hostname "localhost" or something else? (you can find this in inc/config.php in the database section)
(2009-01-19, 08:35 PM)DennisTT Wrote: [ -> ]Your MySQL server is causing all the slowness. Is your database hostname "localhost" or something else? (you can find this in inc/config.php in the database section)

Thank you for the help Dennis.
I believe this is the pertinent section of the file you mentioned : $config['database']['type'] = 'mysql';
$config['database']['database'] = 'jmc';
$config['database']['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';
$config['database']['hostname'] = 'websbest.ipowermysql.com';
$config['database']['username'] = 'xxxxxxx';
$config['database']['password'] = 'xxxxxxxx';

with the exception of the username and password which i've x's out for obvious reasons. I hope this info will allow you to advice me on what I should do next to solve the issue.

Thank you again,
Andres
The other interesting observation is that the problem does not occurr 100% of the time but it does most of the time. Sometimes, however, it is VERY fast with generation times of 0.2 to 0.3 seconds, as oposed to 6 to 9 or more seconds when it is slow. I thought this might give you other clues.
It seems like your MySQL server is not on the same computer (or possibly not even on the same network) as your webserver. Thus, the connection between the webserver and the MySQL server is probably what is causing the delay.

Is the "ipowermysql.com" instructed by your webhost or is that a third-party MySQL provider you are using which is different from your webhost? (Which webhost are you using?)

Also you can try clicking "advanced details" at the bottom right of the forum. See if there are any queries which take an extraordinary amount of time.
Pages: 1 2 3