MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: alternate smiley sets in posts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
can someone tell me what I could do to make it where each user can choose a different smiley set for each individual post?
For each individual post? So you're asking that each new post has it's own set of smileys....What if a post thread has 150 posts and counting, have they had 150 different smiley sets according to what you're requesting. How would anyone know how many smiley sets to create, when no one knows how long a post thread is going to be, as in post count?
I think he means that if user A wanted to use the regular smiley set for a specific post, they could use it, and if user B wanted to use the website's furry smiley set for their post, they could use that one instead, but it would be a per-post option.

I would love to have this plugin if someone were to make it. However, it should have an option for users to set their default smiley set so they wouldn't have to choose it every time, and the ability to restrict sets to certain groups.
(2008-12-28, 08:42 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]I think he means that if user A wanted to use the regular smiley set for a specific post, they could use it, and if user B wanted to use the website's furry smiley set for their post, they could use that one instead, but it would be a per-post option.

I would love to have this plugin if someone were to make it. However, it should have an option for users to set their default smiley set so they wouldn't have to choose it every time, and the ability to restrict sets to certain groups.

That's exactly what I mean. Smile So how can this be implemented?
Not easily. I don't know if it can be done.
Another idea would be to allow a user to upload their own smiley pack that they (and maybe others) can use. Of course, a moderator or admin would have to approve them before they can be used, for obvious reasons...

If I were to make this, I'd probably add a column to the post table that indicates which smiley pack to use, then use a hook in the post parser or something to replace the smileys. Also, I'd add a column to the smileys table for a "pack ID." Then you'd just have to change the smiley selector box to use a certain ID.

The only problem I can see is if the various hooks and whatnot needed exist...
yes but I don't think I want users uploading their own packs, because that IS more to moderate. But mostly because, that will be killer on my bandwidth and I would like to keep it minimal not an overdone functionality. i would just like to add an optional dropdown on the create thread, post template for choosing a different predefined set of smileys.
It could be an option controllable in the AdminCP: Allow users to upload smileys? Y/N

I wish I knew more about the hook system in MyBB, and that I wasn't bogged down in another project, because then I'd try making this myself. Alas... [Image: f31_neutral_v3.png]
yeah but I think what needs to be done is the structure of the posts table in the database needs an extra field specifying the chosen set. If NULL, then use default.