MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Got some great ideas of app integration.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just that I don't have your folks talents to do them...but here they are.

One nifty really cool thing. A lot of my forum members also use live mIRC chats. What would be really cool is if there was a java client built-in like the shoutbox that connected to an mIRC server. This could be a cool plug-in that is setup for the server and chatroom in the config panel in admin cp. You could even setup the height and width from the options in that cp. Than where the current shoutbox is at, visitors while posting could conveinently also keep an eye on the chats. I believe this would increase greatly my traffic especially when their buddy tells them they read a new post or topic. But I know this would be an awesome deal. Just a neat nifty thought.

Second idea number two. Microphone and speaker chats are also becoming popular like Team Speaker for instance. Why not have a builtin TS window where the forums also can detect the ts server and like the mIRC window allow participation in TS while browsing the same forums. Imagine telling someone about your post and pictures in the forums, than pasting it for them to click on in the ts window. This also would drive forum traffic as well and allow for people to remain at the forums while they can do their other things too. Without having to click away to another website or page.

Wish I had the skills to do it, but at least I've got the ideas...I hope Rolleyes
I'm rather worried that this has been 'included' for future releases. I'm worried because things like these overly bloat the standard package and it's two different things to chat and to discuss on a forum. Surely a shout box is the same as a chat, especially if you use ajax to update the shoutbox panel. But to have a java solution is going to increase file sizes???
I think those suggestions will remain as modifications.
OK...but aren't file sizes more a matter of storage rather than execution issues. I mean the shoutbox is pretty cool, but take java chat. Once its loaded on a java enabled browser its there. What this does is simply load into the main forum page where users can browse the forums and watch chats all at the same time. Most mIRC clients whether mIRC standalone of the jPilot java applet load relatively quickly, and the mIRC chats offer instant realtime. It seems to me, and this is of course only my observations as I am not a programmer, nor have the talents of many here, that chat and forums go very closely together. Likewise the Team Speak is sent in 6k packets I believe so even dialups can use this as I am on dialup and have used it for a long time without problems, same with chats, and even when my forums are open, with no problems.

Its just an idea nothing more, but I think it would go very far to enhancing the forums. To my knowledge nobody else has done this yet...
Quote:To my knowledge nobody else has done this yet...
There's a reason for that Smile
A Java program is a big thing to write, especially if Chris or someone has to write it from scratch. You'll get into loads of hassle with copyright if you try to use a free java chat package from another person.
It's the fact that some people won't use it and is therefore un-necessary in the standard package, you always have to fight between features and size/performance. The Java machine takes an age to load on Windows, and if the main page takes ages to load, it'll turn people away. Same with TS.

I don't think it'll become a mod either. Because of copyright issues on free java clients, I don't think any of the main modders here want to spend time making a java app for chatting that might not be used by a lot people. TS even more so. You could try asking the person who created the shoutbox mod to make it refresh and dynamic with AJAX. But then, that's up to them to implement it.
Yeah I see your point, well just wanted to post an idea. I suppose someone in the future will figure something out maybe. But just posted it as an idea.

Anyhow thanks for the replies.